- The top half of this page contains my musings about the game.
- Then a short reminder for myself of projects needing more work
- The bottom half is a resource for wiki editors
Musings about Oolite: What I would like to see changed
- By in large I am extremely happy with Oolite the way that it is. While I find a number of "faults" in the Vanilla game these are almost all fixed by OXPs. My remaining issues are:
- Oolite only offers 2-dimensional F6 charts with exactly 256 systems in each (thanks to Pleb for working on this one). Ahruman started fixing the 2D thing back in 2011 - GG Shinobi's collection of 3D possibilities for an F7F7 screen
- Pocket universes: the inability to travel from one system to another without using a witchdrive jump
- Planet, sun & moon surfaces to show on the IFF scanner (Quirum Bombs show up, so why not planet surfaces?)
- The overly-simplified prices/economics system (thanks to Stranger & Phasted for helping improve things)
- The bizarre distance scales (thanks to Redspear for working on sorting this one out!)
- More NPC interaction (family, friends, Academy chums, engineers, lovers etc.)
- More to do outside the ship: Life in the Frontier starts addressing this, but has a long way to go!
- More realistic dockings/launches - including mooring outside the space stations on pylons (as Nuit theoretically offers on the lower struts)
- More control buttons for OXP equipment. For OXP equipment we just have Tab/0/N & ctrl-N to select the equipment; n & b to activate; and the four "controlled" colons to operate MFDs. Personally speaking, I really need another 2 equipment priming buttons and for Autolock & ILS to be made primable rather than automatic and suicidal. Thanks to Milo (see #13) & Phkb for working on this one.
- The ability to add a second player helping run one's ship. See the discussion here (uses for a second monitor) and here (things to do en-route from Witchpoint to Station).
OXP's which really change the game
- Phkb's Hermitage. Phkb's Ship Configuration. Phkb's Smugglers. Phkb's Home System. Day's Diplomancy. Redspear's Weapon Laws. Norby's Telescope. The Strangers World suite.
OXP's needing work
Or - what I'd love to do if I had the skills...
- MFD's which need tagging for HUDSelector so that they are remembered in the save files:
- Mining OXP - needs debugging (whizzing asteroids emitting sparks which are undockable with) - looks (to this dumb pilot) like a simple fix
- Diplomancy needs sorting out: generates massively long lists of peace treaties between just two states... This oxp has a lot of potential - it would give depth to wars
- SW Economy mislabels mining worlds as agricultural and their markets are identical, the only difference being in quantities for sale. It would be super to see this sorted out.
- Real-Life Economics (prices move as you watch) is faulty - the dynamic price changes tend towards zero.
- Gsagostinho's station experiments here: unfinished - need texturing.
- Cloud City OXP - (for gas giant planets) - needs finishing & updated textures
Lots of work
- Life in the Frontier (fleshes out stations) needs adding to to create more differences between the various stations. This oxp has a lot of potential
- Hotrods OXP - (gangs) there is only the one real "gang". It would be super to see the others added and gang warfare between them. And a sensible link between the gangs and the vanilla pirates. Also needs new textures.
- Refugee Adder - (fleeing refugees) Murgh is hopefully still updating this (2022)
- Hathor Trade Station - beautiful! Just beautiful! But needs finishing (markets etc.)
- Colonization - (hollow space station activity) needs texturing and a reason for its existence if the original activity is not created
- New Deal - (4-polar trade model) needs finishing
- Montana's Monumentally Murderous Modification (War!) - he's hopefully still working on this (2022)
- Galactic Misjump OXP: needs inspiration (what might happen?) and coding
- Amber Moon Chronicles - (aliens!) needs finishing
- Svengali's missions: Vector & Localhero OXP need updating, as does McLane's mission, Cataclysm OXP
- The Collector - needs more missions
- Useful MFDs needed sorting out (Solar Wind Flux gauge was faulty, and the .oxp itself generates too much rubbish).
- STOP PRESS: DONE! Thank you, Dybal!
- Strangers World moves the stations from Commies, Taxi Galactica, etc to bizarre locations. But not HIMSN's stations.
- STOP PRESS: DONE! Thank you, Alnivel!
- I'd dearly love to see the spiderweb jump sequence from BGS v.1.10.9 added in as an option to the newer BGS.
- STOP PRESS: DONE! Thank you, Tsoj!
For Me: List of my Wiki (WIP) pages under construction
Other WIP pages
Cholly's Library of formatting bits & bobs
Format for Table Of Contents
If you have three or fewer headings but want to have a TOC, write either the magic word anywhere on the page to make it display at the default location, or
- 1 Musings about Oolite: What I would like to see changed
- 2 OXP's which really change the game
- 3 OXP's needing work
- 4 For Me: List of my Wiki (WIP) pages under construction
- 5 Cholly's Library of formatting bits & bobs
- 5.1 Format for Table Of Contents
- 5.2 Format for Broken-OXP banners
- 5.3 Format for invisible comments
- 5.4 Format for footnotes
- 5.5 Notes
- 5.6 Format for Transclusion
- 5.7 Overview
- 5.8 History
- 5.9 Variants
- 5.10 Download
- 5.11 Upgrades
- 5.12 Credits
- 5.13 Requirements
- 5.14 License
- 5.15 Links
- 5.16 Downloads
- 5.17 Gallery
- 5.18 See also
- 5.19 Format for Colours
- 5.20 Format for Size
- 5.21 Format for different font
- 5.22 Format for Equipment Infobox
- 5.23 Format for Collapsible whatnots
- 5.24 Format for Quotations
- 5.25 Sandbox
- 5.26 Knotty's natty gallery
- 5.27 Sandbox
- 5.28 Table for HUD page
- 5.29 Table
- 5.30 Sortable Table
- 5.31 Future wiki work
- 5.32 = Add in Exposure/Gamma Correction for Oolite v.1.91/2
- 5.33 Comms
at the preferred position.
Or use Hides the table of contents (TOC).
Format for invisible comments
<!-- This is a comment -->
Only visible when editing the page
Format for footnotes
The Sun is pretty big.<ref>E. Miller, The Sun, (New York: Academic Press, 2005), 23–25.</ref> The Moon, however, is not so big.<ref>R. Smith, "Size of the Moon", Scientific American, 46 (April 1978): 44–46.</ref>
Notes on Footnotes
- I tried the <ref>, </ref> & <references /> tags, but to no avail. None of them seem to do anything. According to Mediawiki, all this should work...
- Footnoting is currently impossible as the necessary add-on for the wiki has not been loaded into it: ...There are no references on Wikipedia. The
<ref>tags don't work. Apparently the Cite Extension has not been installed.
Format for Transclusion
|Size (W×H×L)||138 m×32 m×127 m|
|Cargo bay extension||N/A|
|Maximum speed||0.42 LM|
|Manoeuvrability||Pitch: 1.00 |
|Energy recharge rate||
|Gun mounts||Fore: 1x|
|Shield boosters available||Yes|
|Military shields available||Yes|
|OXP or standard||OXP|
|Available to player||Yes|
|Base price||425,000 Cr|
A strong and powerful heavy interceptor, based on the design of the first generation of the Asp Mark II Special. Substantially larger than the standard Asp Mark II, with a higher maximum speed, more energy banks and 2 pylons. It is purely a fighting ship, having no cargo capacity.
The Asp-X was licensed for civilian use and, although a rare sight, these ships could be encountered occasionally. They are favored by hunters and assassins and, inevitably, also by pirates and brigands.
Some 25 years ago, Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy decided to sponsor a design competition to stimulate development and to give shipyards a platform to showcase what they could do. Known as the 'X-ships Challenge', the brief was to design either a light, medium or heavy Interceptor. Zorgon Petterson Group used the blueprints of the first generation Asp Mark II Special to create the Asp-X and won in the category heavy Interceptor.
In the belief that a well-armed civilian population was the best defense against the Thargoids, HIMSN offered the plans to build these ships for general sale. GalCop was initially very concerned about this, having serious misgivings about military ships being made available on the civilian market, but as similar ships to these already existed they decided to agree to the release of the plans.
During the second major reorganization of the Galactic Navy it was decided to commission Asp-X once again. Using the latest technology, the Navy Asp-X was designed, a major upgrade with a very deadly ship as result.
|Compatible equipment for this ship. Factory standard equipment is marked in bold, all other equipment can be added by the player.|
|Misc. Equipment||Fuel Scoops • Escape Capsule • Docking Computers • Witch Fuel Injectors • Galactic Hyperdrive • Advanced Space Compass • Scanner Targeting Enhancement • Multi-Targeting System|
|Weaponry||Pulse Laser • Beam Laser • Military Laser • Mining Laser • Energy Bomb|
|Defence||E.C.M. System • Extra Energy Unit • Naval Energy Unit • Shield Boosters • Military Shield Enhancement|
A graphic card supporting shaders will enhance the quality although this is not essential.
This work is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike 3.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0). To view a copy of this license visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0.
- Zorgon Petterson Group (manufacturer)
- Asp Mark II (The standard model, a fearsome fighting ship.)
- Asp Explorer (A scout ship with some cargo space. Originally produced by Zorgon Petterson Group this craft is today offered under license from SoloTek Industries.)
- Asp Mark II Special (2 generations had been build. The first was later used to design the Asp-X, the second is a smaller but still deadly Asp Mark II.)
- Navy Asp Mark II (An Asp specially designed for the Galactic Navy. While the first generation wasn't able to live up to the expectations, the second (based on the Asp Mark II Special) is still serving in several navies.)
Developed as a light Interceptor for Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy the Cobra2-X is a development of the (later abandoned) Cobra Mk II prototype. It is an effective light fighter/interceptor popular with Assassins and Hunters. The Cobra2-C derivative is intended as a courier ship (hence the 'C' designation) and its small hold also allows fitment of a Passenger Berth making it ideal for use as a taxi. The Cobra2-C is slower than the X-ship version but has up-graded equipment options and a Hyperdrive.
|Size (metres, W×H×L)||138 x 32 x 125|
|Cargo capacity||0 TC|
|Cargo bay extension||N/A|
|Maximum speed||0.370 LM|
|Energy recharge rate||Poor (2.0)|
|Shield boosters available||Yes|
|Military shields available||No|
|OXP or standard||OXP|
|Available to player||Yes|
It is however considerably larger than its predecessor, and the increase in size means that it has slightly increased maximum speed and improved maneuverability over the scoutship. The Sidewinder-X also has upgraded equipment options and a hyperdrive.
The ship is featured in three OXPs:
- Aegidian's X-Ships OXP by Aegidian (2005)
- Classic X-ships OXZ by Smivs (2015)
- Iron Ass Vol.3, dark metal retro version (2022)
Format for Colours
! ! ! ! ! !
Format for Size
s s s s s s s s s s
Format for different font
These three methods all make a difference:
1) Different font!
|This sort of thing seems only to have been used for programming code (2022 note)|
This method (introducing one or more spaces at the beginning of the line) also has consequences for formatting.
Format for Equipment Infobox
|Wine Cooler OXP|
Format for Collapsible whatnots
Lifted from Phkb's BroadcastComms MFD page
Format for Quotations
|I don't really see the need for a timeline or a backstory. |
The way things are is just the way things are; I don't need to know where Earth is, or how human beings got from there (if they did) to where they are now. For me, a large part of the appeal of the game is its vagueness. It's as close to a blank slate as we can get, and it's built to be modded all over the shop to everyone's individual preferences.
Knotty's natty gallery
Table for HUD page
List of HUDs
1 Aad HUD 2 Another HUD 3 CB-HUD 4 ChupacabraHUD 5 Coluber HUD CH01 6 CombatHUD 7 Compact HUD 8 CRR-HUD 9 Dangerous HUD 10 DeeperSpace HUD 11 Deepspace HUD 12 Deepspace Retro HUD 13 Dr HUD 14 ExtraLarge HUD 15 Fighter HUD 16 G-HUD 17 Isis HUD 18 KeeperHUD 19 Klepto HUD 20 Large HUD 21 Medusa HUD 22 Mega Walnut Dash HUD 23 MilHUD 4000 24 MilHUD (Military Specification HUD) 25 MillHUD Refit 26 Mod HUD 27 Nova Lux HUD 28 Numeric Style HUDs 29 OrangED HUD 30 Pie Chart Style HUDs 31 Small HUD 32 Smart HUD 33 Sniper Camera System HUD 34 Steampunk HUD 35 SW (CAI/DAI) HUD 36 Trek HUD 37 Venom Cockpit HUD 38 Vimana HUD 39 Wide-Screen HUD 40 Wolfwood HUD 41 Xenon HUD 42 Yet Another HUD 43 Z-GrOovY MiLHUD
Date Author Actual speed shown? Actual Torus speed shown? Different HUDs for different green/yellow/red conditions/alerts? Range of alerts shown Docked HUD? HUD Selector compatible?
- of MFDs?
Extras? (eg Vimana HUD's cornucopia of goodies, DeeperSpace's Risk Assessment, Xenon HUD's sights, Dangerous HUD's noises). Precision Joystick Indicator? Glare filter? Glare contrast? (for reading HUD in Glare - cf Xenon HUD) Current Location Display & Current Risk Notifier (Deeper Space HUD) Distance from Compass target? Weapons Bay Missile identifier? (ChupacabraHUD) Extra reticles for other lasers (Xenon) Choice of Colours? (Dangerous HUD & Xenon HUD) Choice of Cockpits? (Dangerous HUD) Natural materials? (Mega Walnut Dash)
|OXP or Standard||Available to Player||Size
|Firefly||0.755||35||775k||OXP||Yes||12 x 11 x 22||2904|
|Dragster Mk II||0.610||0||570k||OXP||Yes||33 x 9 x 83||24,651|
|Dragster Mk I||0.601||0||560k||OXP||Yes||33 x 9 x 83||24,651|
|Constrictor||0.60||15||N/A||Standard||No||54 × 10 × 60||32,400|
|A-Wing||0.60||0||570k||OXP||Yes||79 × 48 × 122||462,624|
|Fer de Lance NG||0.60||2||585k||OXP||Yes||45 × 20 × 85||76,500|
|Generation Ship||0.60||0||N/A||OXP||No||6413 x 6416 x 30277||1,245,771,628,816|
|Kestrel||0.555||8||675k||OXP||Yes||13 x 3 x 12||468|
Future wiki work
New Region Page The Lizard's Claw
Need to sort out what on earth the "|XPosRel=13|YPosRel=61" is all about for the map!
- See Light year distance calculation - especially Phantorgorth's key comment
= Add in Exposure/Gamma Correction for Oolite v.1.91/2
When the details are added to the wiki, this needs to be linked to it:
- Link with pretty pictures
Add in limits of Oolite game
Somewhere on the BB is a thread with my list of 7 or so derived from Phkb's response and with an a_c comment
I have a problem. I'm locked out of my BB account. I tried changing my listed e-mail since it's no longer active. That rendered my BB acct inactive (it sent a registration e-mail to my long-dead e-mail). Could you check with Cody or someone to see if anything can be done?
BTW, feel free to delete this section. This is a lovely page & I'd hate to spoil it because I tripped over my own shoelaces.