Galactic Navy OXP
This classic .oxp is not on the in-game Expansions Manager for licensing reasons (see Links at the bottom).
The Galactic Navy OXP introduces a more visible Galactic Navy presence to the Ooniverse. Each galaxy now contains 14 individual Sector Commands with base systems and stations. There are several new navy ships and navy patrols including Navy Carrier Groups, frigate patrols, and convoys. Once docked at SecCom stations players have a variety of options to choose from including Navy Reserve missions.
Original idea and earlier versions were created by matt634. Version 5 was released by Nemoricus, with Behemoth battle group code from Commodore Eric Walch and other assistance from Thargoid. Special thanks to Screet for playtesting.
Specifically this OXP adds 6 new NPC ships:
Navy Medical Ship
This OXP also adds 14 individual Sector Command Military Stations to each galaxy in orbit around their home planets. At SecCom stations a player may check incoming news, buy victory bonds to support the Navy, or sign up for reserve duty. All pilots with at least a competent rating are eligible for reserve missions. Players may track their status on the interactive Reserve Leaderboard.
This OXP adds Carrier Group Patrols, Navy Frigate Patrols, Emergency Medical Transports, and Navy Transport Convoys to the space lanes as well as increasing the action of interstellar space battles.
Finally, this OXP adds a one time Special Ops mission to Galaxy Six. Players must be docked at a SecCom station and have flown at least 10 reserve sorties. A save file is included for mission testers. There is a walkthrough where you can look for hints if you get stuck.
This OXP requires the Behemoth OXP to function properly.
Installation of the Galactic Navy Facelift is recommended, as it includes shaders updates for the graphics.
All Update Notes can be found in the Readme included with OXP
See the BB Thread for updates and latest news
GN Download Links
- Galactic Navy 2021 download link
- Download Galactic Navy v5.4.3. This requires Oolite version 1.74 or higher. (updated 18th October 2011)). Note that inter-alia it uses the old commodities.plist which was deprecated in 2014.
- Older version in legacy script: Download Galactic Navy v4.0
- To download an older version of Oolite which will run Galactic Navy: Oolite (try 1.771).
- Galactic Navy Additions
- Library's PAD includes a page for Galactic Navy matters, and GN is integrated into Library.OXP
- HIMSN for a different naval alternative (can be combined with GN if you are feeling militaristic!).
- GN has its own Naval Reserve Units, which you can volunteer for. 249th Naval Reserve Wing OXP is separate, if you find GN too pervasive a presence!
Some versions of this OXP are broken for the AppleMac. To fix one of these, try the following:
1) Open the oxp (you need to change its name from Galactic_Navy 5.4.3.oxp into Galactic_Navy 5.4.3.txt - which will turn the oxp into a folder).
2) Open the Config folder and then open the shipdata.plist with TextEdit.
3) Search for
- (which appears 42 times, followed by a number and then </integer>).
- 21 of these "integers" are not integers - the bounty for each ship is given as say 5000.0 or 100.0 - and thus need editing
4) Delete the tailing ".0" - ie edit "5000.0</integer>" into "5000</integer>" for the 21 non-integers
5) Then save the file, pack the oxp back up again (remembering to change the name back into Galactic_Navy 5.4.3.oxp)
6) Bung it back into your AddOns folder (if you had taken it out), restart your game ... and presto!
You will now see the Navy stations, frigates, etc. You can dock, buy Victory bonds, see the latest war updates, sell into the market...
- See How to tweak OXZ's if you need more detail
- Galactic Navy Extend portal to 3 OXPs by Montana05 updating the Galactic Navy (2018-20). This is a pure test version and in need of a complete rewrite. Installing it is not recommended.
Matt 634 on his vision for GN
|Thanks for all the consideration Commander McLane - I think we share a lot of the same visions of Oolite!
I too have always rationalized the war against the Thargoids as "only happening in Interstellar Space" and not in systems. That was until I installed the excellent Thargoid Wars OXP which saw the conflict move closer to home. I was very interested to see you mention a type of planetary "warzone" because this is actually another frankenoxp running on my system. On a very rare occasion, 1% of jumps, a system will be turned into a warzone with dozens of pre-placed Navy Ships and Thargoids that respawn when they die so the action never stops! I could implement this in some kind of permanent way to create some "warzones" but I thought it would be too drastic a change for most Commanders :)
About your concerns regarding the placement of SecComs: I agree the majority of what the Navy does happens in Interstellar Space and that was the primary reason I created this OXP, to make the Navy a little more visible. Without the OXP a commander may never get a glimpse of the Navy unless he misjumps. Having close military ties in my real life (what's left of it) this didn't make sense to me. Civilians will see much more of its Military outside of combat, especially if one lives in a city with a military base (as I do).
As far as SecComs on Behemoths or Anaconda's, my understanding was the wiki meant Sector Commanders, the actual person, not a ship or station. So, in my view anyway, this OXP fits perfectly, as the Sector Commanders (the good ones anyway) are out leading from the front in their flagships. I suppose some of the less daring ones could be back at their SecCom Stations hiding behind their desks while their officers do all the work :wink:
The SecCom stations are a home base for the Navy in that sector, and I think it makes sense for them to be in orbit around the planet just like it makes sense for military bases here in the USA to be located in San Francisco, Boston, or Colorado Springs. I could place them in Interstellar Space, but them I'm back to the same problem of never seeing the Navy unless I misjump.
As far as the Navy and its role as a part of GalCop, I was careful in my OXP to rarely if ever use the term GalCop to describe anything Navy. It's my belief, and probably entirely my own, that due to its largely independent nature already, the Galactic Navy eventually, sometime in the future, breaks away from GalCop and becomes its own entity. Perhaps this was one cause of GalCop's eventual downfall. Who knows, its all just future story line in my head that doesn't actual effect the game right now. Right now GalCop is the force in the Galaxy and controls everything we do to the best of their abilities.
|(Matt 634 (2007))|
Note that at this early stage in the development of Oolite, the Oolite community mostly followed the syncretist approach to Lore, placing Oolite between Classic Elite and Frontier historically, which meant that GalCop was doomed and the incipient Federation & Empire needed to be accounted for.
- Galactic Navy OXP - Mission Ideas Needed Original post by Matt634 in 2007 (2007-8)
- Galactic Navy Strikes Back Version 5 (2009-17)
- Surviving Naval Battles (?) (2013)
- Galactic Navy Licensing The reason Galactic Navy has not been published on/updated for the Expansions Manager (2015)
- SecComFinder for the GalacticNavy (2017) by Runghold
Gameplay and Balance Indicator
The real effect (unless you enlist and go for the missions) is on arrival at the Sector Command planets, which now have a major navy presence. Take Isinor, for example. Without this oxp, there is a good chance of getting scragged by pirates on arrival at the witchpoint. With this oxp, there is a better chance of seeing pirates being scragged by the Galactic Navy instead! The navy base also has a top notch shipyard doing excellent maintenance work and with a full range of equipment. Rather expensive, though!