HUD images here
Images are below their captions.
A HUD is a Heads-Up Display: a transparent display that presents data without requiring users to look away from their usual viewpoints. The origin of the name stems from a pilot being able to view information with the head positioned "up" and looking forward, instead of angled down looking at lower instruments. A HUD also has the advantage that the pilot's eyes do not need to refocus to view the outside after looking at the optically nearer instruments First developed in the 1940s for military aircraft (from Wikipedia).
As the newer versions of Oolite have allowed more flexibility with modifying HUD elements since the early days of Oolite v.1.20 in 2004! From the halcyon days of Aegidian's Mega-Walnut dashboard (for the Fer-de-Lance), the HUD designers have risen to the challenge. There was a quantum leap under Cim's tenure as lead designer, when it was made easier to code new HUDs and the range of possibilities was greatly increased. This extended to MFDs. This happened with the release of Oolite v.1.79 in 2013/4.
The most striking versions here include the Coluber, Dangerous & Vimana HUDs.
Ships with custom HUDs: Note also that some ships come with their own HUD versions! Eg.: Coluber Racers - Blue, Red, Yellowbelly & Black; also Isis Interstellar ships, all of Simon B's ships in Neolite-Wolfies and some of his Waka series, some of Wolfwood's ships such as his Asp Explorer (Oolite), etc.
HUDs not shown here: Note also that some HUDs are not shown here: Killer Wolf's Dynamic HUD, Cyan HUD, Clear HUD, etc. See the OXP List and its links for more.
Experimenting with new HUDs The easiest way into all this is probably using HUDSelector which comes with 3 more HUDs to try out (extra-large, large & small). It will then help manage most others you download.
1) The game specifies 2 types of HUD: small (for the Adder, the Cobra Mk.1, etc) and regular. Most of these do not have a small variant, so you will find that your small ship defaults to the Vanilla game HUD! 2) The number of MFDs varies with the HUD (from 0 to 15)!
3) HUD designers often include icons for their favourite oxp equipments. See Coluber (& Deeper Space), CB (& CRR), Vimana & Z-GrOovY MiLHUD below for examples.
4) A number of HUDS have special features
- Choice of layouts/colour - Dangerous HUD (fighter cockpit view, hauler cockpit view and glass only view, 6 colours) & Xenon HUD (2 colours)
- Current Location Display (with Current Risk Notifier) - see Deeper Space HUD
- Weapon Bays Missile Identifier - see ChupacabraHUD
- Warning signs for low altitude/energy/shields/high temperature - see Vimana HUD
- Extra add-on modules (purchasable) with some of the functions of the Combat & Navigation MFD's - see Vimana HUD
- Sun glare contrast - see Xenon HUD
- Sound effects - see Dangerous HUD
- Listings of present equipment - see Z-GrOovY MiLHUD, Vimana HUD, Deeper Space HUD & the Coluber HUDs (these lists are partial - there is so much equipment)
- 1 Aad HUD
- 2 Another HUD
- 3 CB-HUD
- 4 ChupacabraHUD
- 5 Coluber HUD CH01
- 6 CombatHUD
- 7 Compact HUD
- 8 CRR-HUD
- 9 Dangerous HUD
- 10 DeeperSpace HUD
- 11 Deepspace HUD
- 12 Deepspace Retro HUD
- 13 Dr HUD
- 14 ExtraLarge HUD
- 15 Fighter HUD
- 16 G-HUD
- 17 Isis HUD
- 18 KeeperHUD
- 19 Klepto HUD
- 20 Large HUD
- 21 Medusa HUD
- 22 Mega Walnut Dash HUD
- 23 MilHUD 4000
- 24 MilHUD (Military Specification HUD)
- 25 MillHUD Refit
- 26 Mod HUD
- 27 Nova Lux HUD
- 28 Numeric Style HUDs
- 29 OrangED HUD
- 30 Pie Chart Style HUDs
- 31 Small HUD
- 32 Smart HUD
- 33 Sniper Camera System HUD
- 34 Steampunk HUD
- 35 SW (CAI/DAI) HUD
- 36 Trek HUD
- 37 Venom Cockpit HUD
- 38 Vimana HUD
- 39 Wide-Screen HUD
- 40 Wolfwood HUD
- 41 Xenon HUD
- 42 Yet Another HUD
- 43 Z-GrOovY MiLHUD
- 44 Tweaks
- 45 Links
Almost Almost Default HUD! by Spara (2016)
Another HUD by NorthenderPNE (2011)
CB-HUD by Captain Beatnik (2011)
ChupacabraHUD by CommonSenseOTB (2011)
Coluber HUD CH01
Coluber HUD CH01 by Captain Beatnik (2014) & improved by Norby (2020)
Screenshot showing the Coluber HUD CH01 on a 2560x1440 pixel (16:9) monitor scaled-down to 1000x563
CombatHUD - widescreen version (standard version has Comms and Console messages above the dials on either side). By Smivs (2014)
Combat HUD (Red Alert mode)
CompactHUD by Aegidian (by 2006), updated by Diziet Sma (2014)
CRR-HUD BB An adaptation of the Coluber Red Racer HUD: see Coluber Blue Racer. By Captain Beatnik (2012)
Dangerous HUD showing just the green & blue variants (not Orange, Pink, Purple & White). by Gsagostinho (2017-8)
Deeper Space HUD by Pleiadian (2017)
Deepspace HUD by DeepSpace (2009)
Deepspace Retro HUD
Deepspace HUD by DeepSpace (2010)
ExtraLarge HUD provide a very large, alert sensitive scanner and custom dials with CombatMFD but no 16:10 support due to not enough room for the bottom two MFDs. By Norby (2015)
Fighter HUD Mk2 by CaptKev (2008-9)
G-HUD Mk2 by Gunney Plym (2008)
Mk1 version now superceded. Large version of screenshot
Box Download by Killer Wolf (2013)
Comes separately or included (as an option) with some Killer Wolf ships (Dominatrix, Werewolf, his newer Venom oxp's).
An old HUD: no MFD's, no HUDSelector compliance.
Klepto-HUD OXP by Kleptoid (2006)
Large HUD looks like the default HUD but with 10 MFDs, custom dials with CombatMFD and a large alert sensitively colored scanner. By Norby (2015).
Both 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 displays are supported, but in 4:3 "only" 8 MFDs are usable.
Medusa HUD by ClymAngus (2009)
Mega Walnut Dash HUD
Based on the original Fer de Lance HUD of the legendary Aegidian (2005)
MilHUD 4000 by Wildeblood (2012)
MilHUD (Military Specification HUD)
MilSpec HUD by Wyvern (2006-11)
MillHUD Refit by Wolfsstar BH (2015)
Based on Wyvern's MilSpec HUD: HUD Selector compatible, five alert condition colours, 10 MFD's...
Nova Lux HUD
Nova Lux HUD by Vincentz (2015)
Numeric Style HUDs
Numeric Style HUDs or browse viewtopic for current information. By CommonSenseOTB (2011), updated by Diziet Sma, User:Spara, Norby (2015)
OrangED HUD has up to 4 MFDs. By Zireael (2014)
Pie Chart Style HUDs
Pie Chart Style HUDs or browse viewtopic for current information. By CommonSenseOTB (2011)
Small HUD looks like the default small HUD but with 10 MFDs. By Norby (2014)
SmartHUD-widescreen version (standard version has Comms and Console messages above the dials on either side). By Smivs (2014).
Sniper Camera System HUD
Sniper Camera System HUD or browse viewtopic for current information. By CommonSenseOTB (2011)
Steampunk HUD by Killer Wolf (2010).
SW (CAI/DAI) HUD
Trek HUD by Barabis (2008)
Venom Cockpit HUD
Isis Interstellar's HUD for their Venom line of ships.
Three versions are supplied: standard (as below), mahogany & walnut burr
Vimana HUD by Gnievmir (2019)
Wide-Screen HUD by Wildeblood (2013)
Wolfwood HUD by Wolfwood (2006)
Note: the image shows an Imperial Cruiser even though at bottom right it says "Cobra Mk III". Note the Imperial Cruiser has increased energy banks and missiles. But this gives you an idea of what it looks like.
Yet Another HUD
Yet Another HUD v0.2 /
Oolite BBS Discussion
Also known as the Plagiarism HUD, due to shamefully stealing parts from Trek HUD, MilHUD and GenericHUD. By Palmski (2010)
Z-GrOovY MiLHUD by Dertien (2013)
- Tweak to 'dock' an older HUD so that it does not overlap the bottom of the F2-F8 screens while docked see here. By phkb (2014)
- Tweak to customise a HUD's altimeter to allow for the Strangers World gravity wells. See code at the bottom of the first post here. By Stranger (2018)
- How to tweak OXZ's
- HUDSelector - a HUD manager
- The HUD-shop (2009-10)