First played Elite back on the old BBC Model B, though never got further than Dangerous. Played Frontier and First Encounters when they came out, and enjoyed them despite the bugs. Again, didn't get past Dangerous. Discovered Oolite accidentally in late 2011 and thoroughly approve. Oolite was the first one where I made it to Elite ranking - probably because there's always something new to do!
Verson 1.82 came out in May 2015 with slightly dumber pirates due to the continuance of the sustained debate. Around this time cim developed another game using the Oolite mechanics - Song of the Labyrinth.
Not just OXPS
- Rewrote the Game code:
Scenario support has been significantly upgraded to let expansion authors make full use of it as their imaginations permit. Expansion packs can now be restricted to only load in their own Scenarios, which means you can make much bigger changes than before without needing to worry about compatibility with other packs, and do things which just wouldn't have worked before. •Make a mini-series of mission OXPs which wouldn't work if the player could bring their own ship and experience, or wander off mid-mission to go and trade for a bit. •Set the player in the middle of a major war between powers with definite front lines, regions, and battles - can they still make a living as a trader, pirate or bounty hunter when there's a full-scale Thargoid invasion on, and hundreds of systems have already completely fallen to them. •Completely rewrite the galaxies, ships, equipment and rules to make your own new space game with the Oolite engine (see "A New Game" below).
- Wrote the Ship's Manual which is contained inside his Ship's Library OXP.
- Wrote Extracts from the Tre Clan: Oofaction which is available here and is also downloadable as an Equipment OXP in the Expansions Pack Manager for your on-board Ship library (5 introductory lectures about the realities of life as a pilot).
- Also analysed the Oolite/Elite universe and how it could have come into being.
- If you trawl the bulletin board you will find a number of his discussions concerning the future direction of Oolite (some are in links below).
Cim wrote several OXPs with the hope that they might be taken up by others and expanded upon.
- New Cargoes: New Cargoes is designed to allow other OXPs to add cargoes, traders, and events to the universe as a framework, in addition to the cargoes and opportunities including in New Cargoes itself.
- Communications Pack A: Communications Pack A is licensed very freely, and extensively commented inside. It is intended for adaptation and copying of the framework for other authors to make Communications Packs B, C, D, etc. with different personalities and speech patterns.
- Galactic Misjump OXP: reach intergalactic space, if you dare. (Needs someone with more time to make something more interesting of it - it's just a proof-of-concept at the moment)
- Camera Drones Camera Drones allows the definition of extra drone cameras by other OXPs. Read the readme file in the OXP download for more information.
I have far more ideas for OXPs than I have time to implement, but here's what I've released so far. Ones with a † have been released in OXZ format for automatic download in Oolite 1.79 or later. All of them require Oolite 1.76 (or at least are untested in earlier versions) - where a later version is required this is noted in brackets.
Missions and activities
- New Cargoes† - over 100 new cargoes to trade in, and a variety of additional cargo contracts.
- Curse of the Black Sunspot† - a mission OXP set in G3 (1.77).
- Rescue Stations† - a new organisation and station for stable systems, with a variety of missions available there (now maintained with graphics updates and more by Spara).
- Combat Simulator† - try out your ship in simulated dogfights.
- Galactic Misjump OXP - If you can get to interstellar space by misjumping between two systems, then you should be able to get to intergalactic space by misjumping between two galaxies...
Variety and visual interest
- Communications Pack A† - communications messages for 19 different NPC personalities (1.79)
- Escort Formations† - vary the escort formations used by traders and pirates
- System Features: Rings† - planetary ring systems (1.77 + shader support only)
- System Features: Sunspots† - sunspots (1.77 + shader support only)
- Skilled NPCs† - make the NPC opponents fight more effectively (1.77)
- Risk Based Economy - makes trade prices depend on government as well as economy (1.77)
- Fair Cobra III - upgrade the NPC Cobra IIIs to match the player ship specification
- Camera Drones† - some animated external views for your ship (1.77)
- Energy Bomb† - an implementation of the old superweapon (1.77)
- Shipset Compatibility† - use with an pre-1.79 replacement shipset to get the new roles and AI (1.79)
These are OXPs I wrote once but no longer maintain. Feel free to take over any of them if you want!
- Talkative Space Compass - an upgrade to the Advanced Space Compass (Oolite v.1.79 has a HUD component which does the same thing better)
- Enhanced Misjumps - an extra graphical effect for misjumps. (Other OXPs do misjump visual effects much better, and I'm not even sure if this one still works in v.1.79)
- Galactic Misjumps - reach intergalactic space, if you dare. (Needs someone with more time to make something more interesting of it - it's just a proof-of-concept at the moment)
2 New Games: Song of the Labyrinth
- SOTL Exploration - a totally different universe to explore from Oolite's standard 8 charts. These are not just rewrites of the gaming mechanism with a different look like Strangers World, but different games with different goals and equipment.
- SOTL Exploration - Save your dying human colony by prospecting for the resources needed to reach and settle new worlds!
- SOTL Altmap - Explore a new galaxy with different species, different commodities and differently equipped ships!
I also have a few OXPs for testing new features in Oolite. OXP writers and testers may find these OXPs useful for quick access to the features and example code, but they're probably of no interest for actual gameplay.
- MultiDock Test: adds a giant metal brick with four docking bays to high planetary orbit for testing of the multiple docking bay traffic control.
- Orbital Patrol: a simple demonstration of scripted AI
- Proposals for Oolite 1.79/1.80, 1 of 5: Remove Strict Mode
- Proposals for Oolite 1.79/1.80, 2 of 5: HUD improvements
- Proposals for Oolite 1.79/1.80, 4 of 5: New system populator
- Proposals for Oolite 1.79/1.80, 5 of 5: Shipdata organising
- Combat balance - 1.80 and 1.82
- Proposal for 1.82: combat balance changes
- Proposal for 1.82: equipment balancing and choices
- Proposal for 1.82: support for economic changes
- Proposal for 1.82: updates to service level / maintenance
- Proposal for 1.82: planetinfo.plist changes
- "Not in the manual" - setting and canon in the eight charts
- The Oolite NPC ecosystem (and other questions)
- Cim's collection of goodies
- See discussion in Lore