This is my personal opinion, however, it might be useful for players who have not yet discovered the richness the OXPs bring to the game.
NOTE: With Oolite version 1.80, many of these became available as .OXZ's from the built-in Expansion Manager.
I recommend all new (or returning) players install at least some of the mods in the first section. The other mods are just my personal recommendations.
For the .oxp's/.oxz's which Zireael wrote see here. Zireael is from Poland and allegedly started playing Oolite to teach himself English. There is a rumour that he programmed all his pirates to speak in Received Pronounciation, whilst his police vipers spoke with a cockney accent.
Bring Oolite into the 21st century
These are mostly cosmetic and should run on every machine capable of running the Vanilla game.
- Better Screens
- Better Buoys
- Display Reputation
- Market Observer
- Military Fuel Injectors
- Naval Grid
- Random Ship Names
- Famous Planets
- Distant Suns
- System Redux (Oolite) / System Demux (Oolite) / Deep Horizons Systems + Stations for Extra Planets
- Planetary Compass OXP
- Planetfall OXP
- New Cargoes
- Frontier Style Equipment NOTE: this is made by me so that you have complete clarity
- Registration ID
- Bulk Haulers
- Eagle Mk II
- Griffin Two (Oolite)
- Imperial Courier (Oolite)
- Imperial Trader (Oolite)
- Thargoid Warship (Flyable)
most of this falls into the 'why isn't it in the game itself?!' category
- Chupacabra HUD
- Numeric Style HUDs Note: You know, these two HUDs combine together for 100% more enjoyment!
- Background Sets
- Realistic Stars
- Zygo Cinematic Sky & Nebulas note: I recommend setting sky_n_stars to 10000 for performance reasons
- Snoopers note: amazingly cool maps if used with BGS
- Trophy Collector
- Hired Guns
- Custom Shields note: I recommend setting this.customshieldsshieldtype to basic
most of this also falls into the 'why isn't it in the game itself?! category