Police IFF Scanner Upgrade
Upgrade to the IFF (lollipop) scanner system. This highlights ships with an offender or fugitive legal status with custom ‘lollipop’ colours to allow rapid visual identification of criminals via the scanner.
In a bid to raise funds to replace their ageing Viper fleet, and in recognition of the lack of control they are exhibiting over many of the space lanes, GalCop have licensed a civilian version of the IFF scanner unit used in Police ships to quickly identify criminals in flight.
Welcomed by both Bounty Hunters wanting that extra few seconds advantage in identifying targets and nervous traders wanting an extra few seconds to avoid potentially hostile pirates the unit is available from Tech Level 12 or above planets for the princely sum of 2500 credits. It can also be resold for 60% refund of normal sale price at Tech level 12 or above. There is a 10 credit admin fee to sell the equipment.
The unit complements the Bounty Scanner equipment and has also been designed to work well with the Target Autolock OXP equipment. It is particularly useful when players run into an ongoing furball to quickly work out who the ‘bad’ guys are.
Once installed, ships (excluding Thargoids) with an offender status are displayed on the scanner as flashing yellow/orange ‘lollipops’, whilst fugitives are displayed as flashing orange/magenta ‘lollipops’, instead of the default yellow. If targeting and hostile to the player both offender and fugitive ships turn deep red on the scanner.
- Author: Capt Murphy (2011)
- Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 : Please visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ for more info.
- Requires Oolite Version 1.75.2 or better
- Version 1.3.1 (18/12/11)
|Police IFF Scanner Upgrade OXP|
|Name||Police IFF Scanner Upgrade|
- Available from the in-game Expansions Manager, or,
- Download from the box and pop the unzipped .oxp in your AddOns folder
- Version 1: 19/6/11 – Initial release.
- Version 1.1: 21/6/11 – Bug fix to the timer mechanism that updates the scanner to avoid log warning messages.
- Version 1.2: 25/6/11 - Fixed a ‘silent’ bug in my use of timer mechanism. Added code to stop the timer on player death.
- Version 1.3: 24/9/11 – Added code to script so that scanner colours are always reset properly if the Police Scanner is damaged in combat.
Discussion topic for this OXP can be found at the Oolite BB
- Capt. Murphy (author)
- Telescope - has similar and extended functionality (also tagging the ships with lightballs, identifying their allegiance)
- Target System Plugins - provides this information on MFDs
- Guide to Accuracy OXPs - general overview
Gameplay and Balance Indicator
This won't tag all of the McNasties (some masquerade as peaceful innocents), but it will certainly identify a goodly number.