There are several distinctions here. Is the station an orbital station? Is the station the main orbital station? Is the station a GalCop station?
In the Vanilla game there are just the three stations and the rock hermits (the top four). You can save your game at any of these. The main orbital station is the station around the only planet circling the sun.
This all changes when you add in OXPs. You can add in more stations around the planet (eg Superhub or SothisTC). You can also add in more planets some of which may have their own orbital stations (see Guide to Ambience OXPs - you need OXPs for the planets and OXPs for the extra stations). You can add in more stations which sit around the witchpoint (RRS Waystation, Bank of the Black Monks, System Independent Repair Facility) or are positioned at the sun (Kiota Stations, CZGF & SLAPU). Et cetera, et cetera.
Note that only the main orbital station has an Aegis where one is - in theory - protected from the depredations of piracy. And some other oxp's which affect stations only affect the main orbital (eg Dock Assist System OXP or Traffic Lights OXP).
Note that at the time of writing (2021) you cannot save at all stations. This is due to peculiarities in the Oolite game code (in theory, you can save at "stationary stations" - but the definition of "stationary" is not intuitive!).
These are all GalCop stations. They appear as the main orbital station and have an Aegis where one is - in theory - protected from the depredations of piracy. They obey GalCop law and leaving with illegal goods will incur a penalty. They have both a marketplace and a shipyard.
Rock Hermits (if you can find one) are not GalCop stations. One can buy illegal goods without penalty. They have both a marketplace (prices differ from the main orbital station) and a shipyard (again, prices differ).
Click on the stations above to see the many variant textures for each
- Not all Oolite Stations are GalCop stations! Company stations (eg Aquarian Shipbuilding Corp. HQ) and system stations (eg Astrogulag Penal Colony) are not. But Torus, Globes & Superhubs are. The importance here is for trading in illegal goods. GalCop stations will award you illegal or refugee status if you leave with illegal merchandise on board. The others won't.
- GalCop stations will also have police vipers as defenders (changed by OXPs to other police ships for some political systems such as Commies or Dictatorships).
- Not all stations have marketplaces. Or shipyards.
Unfinished OXP stations
Amaranth's Refinery station
Inside Okti's massive colony
Draven's Oodulldorf Station
at Galaxy 6: Veisin only
Gsagostinho's station experiments
Gsagostinho's station experiments
at Galaxy 5: Cesousla only
Solar Harvest's solar station
Tetiri Planet Ring
at Galaxy 5: Tetiri only
Zieman's Superico Station
Zieman's Habitat Orbital Station
Some of these are fascinating. Cloud cities orbit gas giants, but docking has not been built in. Okti's colony was to be part of a mission, and one can fly inside it. Mandotech revolves in different circles, as does Zieman's SuperIco. The Hathor is truly beautiful and is a delight to dock at. Some need only a little work to update them.
- Category:Oolite stations also includes Vanilla game stations
- Category:Dockables OXPs also includes dockable ships (liners, naval carriers etc) & oxps affecting dockables (eg liners markets)
- The Galactic Almanac OXZ Beta version (2021).
- Docking Computers - see oxp list
- Stationrotation OXP makes the rotation of all main stations slower. Half of them will rotate anti-clockwise.
- Life In The Frontier allows activities on board the station. Each station is the same. Unfinished.
Stations currently not shown above
- Galactic Navy stations
- HIMSN - secret naval stations!
- Kiota Stations - most not shown
- Strangers World stations (Stranger's Kiota variants) - most not shown
- Other stations tied in with mission oxp's
- Starship/Orbital Station Geomorphs a pdf download (2021)