A powerful one-shot device that emits a high-powered electromagnetic pulse, disrupting plasma containment in drives of nearby ships, resulting in catastrophic damage. Well shielded larger vessels are capable of withstanding this assault on occasion, but small ships invariably do not survive. Triggering the Energy Bomb temporarily deactivates sensitive components. The pulse is harmonised with the drive of the firing ship.
The Medusa Pandora Self-homing Energy Bomb is a tactical weapon capable of Megazon Destruct Force 13 with a heat radius of 9000km. Developed by the Klaus-Kline laboratories for multi-rôle combat using "launch and leave" techniques.
The release of an energy bomb creates magnetic field shockwaves that can cause catastrophic vibrations in certain minerals, including most asteroidal rock types. This invariably results in the fragmentation of asteroids that are within the range of an energy bomb explosion.
- For tactics see Using weapons of mass destruction.
- Theories of how the Energy Bomb actually works (2011).
Energy Bomb removed
Thanks to an energetic & vigorous campaign by several members of the community, the energy bomb was saved from removal from v1.74 (circa 2010). The argument for removal was that the energy bomb was far too powerful and affected the game balance by leaving the player unaffected. However, being an original feature of Elite, removal engendered strong emotions from fans of the classic game.
As proposed by Giles, the energy bomb was reinstated in v1.74. The energy bomb has nevertheless been disabled by default since version 1.77, which focused on more “visible” core game changes.
- see also: Energy Bomb Campaign thread
- See Cheating for an analysis of some of the issues involved.
- See Oolite 2.0 or II for a wider context on the debate!
Update on Energy Bomb removal
- EBs 2004-5 debate
- On energy bombs 2010 debate
- Energy bomb (Solved) 2012 debate
- NPC Energy Bomb gives the energy bomb to NPCs (Another_Commander c.2010?): really an exercise in showing how it wrecks the game when NPCs have it!
- The Energy Bomb - new 'solutions' to old problems: Redspear's brainstorming (2022).