The Cobra comes with twin Zieman deflector shields. These shields absorb energy by reflecting it with an equivalent charge of inverse energy. There are two generators for these shields, one forward and one aft. The green indicators showing the strength of the shields are labelled "1" on the HUD on the right. The four yellow energy banks which together power the generators are labelled "12".
There are two considerations regarding the functioning of your shields - firstly, how strong they are, and secondly, how quickly they recharge. The Shield Boosters and Military Shield Enhancement further strengthen your shields. The Extra Energy Unit quickens the recharge rate instead.
Two standard upgrades can be purchased for your Shields:
- Shield Boosters: 14,750₢ and bought in a System with a TL of 11+
- Military Shield Enhancement: 47,550₢ and bought in a System with a TL of 14+ (there are only 5 such systems in Galaxy 1!).
The recharge rate is improved by the following equipment:
- Extra Energy Unit: 1500₢ and a System with a TL of 9+
- Naval Energy Unit: only available to Navy personnel
- NavalGrid OXP provides two upgrades (civilian & naval) to the energy bus linking the energy units to the Shields. In effect, the energy units provide much more energy to recharge depleted shields, so recharging happens faster. The grids speed up the recharge still further by increasing the rate at which this extra energy reaches the shields.
- ShieldCycler transfers energy between your forward and aft shields (3 versions with 3 addons).
- Shield Equalizer And Capacitors OXP Equalizer recharges the shield under attack, Capacitors provides a battery for the shields.
- Energy Rebalance rebalances energy between shields and energy banks.
There are two OXPs which provide extra physical shielding for your ship:
The following OXPs all make the game harder (and more realistic).
- Breakable Shield Generators OXP allows your Shield Generators to be disabled by a direct hit in combat
- Hard Way, a complex OXP, hammers your shields down to 25% when you are using your Torus Drive. This has major consequences on returning to normal speed. Depending on your mix of extra energy units etc, you can end up with low shields whose recharge then depletes your energy. This will inevitably affect your style of piloting (eg leaving Torus early before reaching dangerous destinations to allow shields/energy banks to fully recharge).
- Ship Configuration OXP adds another 4 strengths of shield to choose from. A very complex .oxp.