People will always want to be somewhere else. Although passenger liners are available, these only ferry between high economy systems (called Hubs). This leaves plenty of opportunity for the owner of a small interstellar craft. Even on routes that are served by regular passenger liners, there will be passengers with a terrible sense of urgency or need of privacy that only a private vessel equipped with passenger cabins can provide.
By fitting a passenger berth, you can accommodate a single passenger. Berths will provide all luxury creature comforts and an independent life-support system with an air supply for 5 days. Should catastrophe strike, most versions can function as a lifeboat, in a limited fashion. Be warned! If you do not have 5TC of empty cargo space in your hold, the Passenger Berth may not be available for sale on the F3 screen.
The Space Rickshaw Corporation has been highly successful in filling the niche market of cheap, fast, in-system passenger transportation by exploiting the Frog interplanetary shuttle.
When docked, simply go to the "Passenger contract deliveries" interface screen, by pressing F4 (or 4) and select the appropriate item from the list of interfaces. Here are listed all available passenger contracts. You can view the details of each contract, being careful to note the destination and potential risk the client may be, accept any you believe you can handle and bring them to their desired destination. View the Contracts page for more information.
Some passengers may be the target of assassins - especially those paying a lot of money for the transportation. Be aware!
More helpful information is available in the Hints oxp.
Cost to install : 825.0 ₢. Techlevel : 6 Install one passenger berth, takes up 5 TC of cargospace.
Cost to de-install: 100.0 ₢ Techlevel : 1 Reclaims 5 TC of cargospace.
- Passenger Berth question: What are the berths like? Can passengers make their way into the crew quarters? (2015)
- Berth Control for OXP authors (2014)
- Space savings for multiple cabins? (save on life support, radiation shielding etc)
- Upgrades (2009)
- Chatty passengers Interraction with passengers (2015: "Your passenger - has disappeared in flight, you suspect another passenger has killed/disposed/eaten them")
- Enhanced Passenger Contracts - interraction with your passengers
- In-System Taxi - in-system contracts
- Taxi Galactica - more contracts