|Size (W×H×L)||40 m×20 m×94 m|
|Cargo capacity||12 TC|
|Cargo bay extension||N/A|
|Maximum speed||0.3 LM|
|Manoeuvrability||Pitch: 1.0 |
|Energy recharge rate||
|Gun mounts||Fore: 1x |
|Shield boosters available||Yes|
|Military shields available||Yes|
|OXP or standard||Standard|
|Available to player||Yes|
|Base price||485,000 Cr|
Introduced in 3100 by Zorgon Petterson Group, this is the ship that brought ZPG from being an unknown ship modifier to the household name in luxury but capable ships. Designed as an executive transport for company officials who preferred to fly themselves, the ship is moderately fast, well appointed and can be equipped with fearsome weaponry and defences to keep the assassins away.
ZPG's now famous well designed and understated luxurious interior is the hallmark of this ship, and it's what keeps the ship selling year after year - even though the ship itself is decidedly average (or below average) in many other areas. Looking at the utility value of the ship as either a fighter or light trader (the cargo bay has enough room to carry 12 TC), it is extremely poor value for money at a base price of Cr. 485,000 when you consider the base price of the Cobra Mk.III, which is a much more capable trade or fighting ship, with the base model coming in at only Cr. 150,000.
But buyers of the Fer-de-Lance are not interested in low end economy ships. The Fer-de-Lance buyer is looking at a different kind of value - engineering with no expense spared (inspect the equipment bays of a Fer-de-Lance and note how thoughtfully it has been laid out, and how the factory has gone to extra attention to de-burr all the parts leaving no sharp edges behind which catch your clothing) combined with a cabin that has been tastefully and luxuriously designed. They are not after showy 'bling' like the ratted out Cobra Mk.3 with chrome exhaust covers and 'Type R' stickers slapped on the back. Enter the bridge of the Fer-de-Lance and notice how well laid out the controls are on the Walnut Dashboard - specially devised by the leading designers at Aegidian Industries. Dock a Fer-de-Lance and notice how the fuel scoop retraction system remains powered up for a few minutes in case you forgot to close it: do that in a Cobra and you'll have to go through a complete power-on sequence to get the scoop shut again. To the buyer of a Fer-de-Lance, the value is not being the fastest or the showiest; the value is a ship that's not seemingly built to cause the captain annoyance. A Fer-de-Lance owner is not a chav; a Fer-de-Lance owner has class.
Much to ZPG's chagrin (at least in public), the ship has become a favorite amongst assassins. It is also occasionally seen in pirate hands.
Fer de Lance equipment bays come prefitted with high quality, custom designed equipment. Fittings are standardised though, so one could -as a temporary fix- replace a piece of kit with an inferior product, naturally only when no FDL-dealer is available.
|Compatible equipment for this ship. Factory standard equipment is marked in bold, all other equipment can be added by the player.|
|Misc. Equipment||Passenger Berth (2x) • Fuel Scoops • Escape Capsule • Advanced Space Compass • Docking Computers • Witch Fuel Injectors • Scanner Targeting Enhancement • Multi-Targeting System • Galactic Hyperdrive|
|Weaponry||Pulse Laser • Beam Laser • Military Laser • Mining Laser • Energy Bomb|
|Defence||E.C.M. System • Extra Energy Unit • Naval Energy Unit • Shield Boosters • Military Shield Enhancement • External Heat Shielding|
Like all ships in service for a long time, over the years additional variants were introduced to the public. Please note that all of them belong to OXP's, they are not part of the core-game.
- Fer-de-Lance Spaceship (A fighter-like hull, popular with hunters and assassins. Produced under license by SoloTek Industries.)
- Fer-de-Lance Lightspeeder (A nostalgic line with some improved specifications.)
- Fer-de-Lance NG also known as NG-1 (The next generation, produced under license by a forgotten shipyard, nowadays obsolete.)
- Fer-de-Lance NG-2 (A remake of the NG, produced under license by Biarge United Shipyards.)
- Fer-de-Lance 3G (The third generation, an in-house production again.)
- Fer-de-Pai (A combination of a Fer-de-Lance and a Asp Mark II, abandoning the luxurious trimmings in exchange for military equipment. Less than 2000 of this prototype have ever been produced.)
(Click on the thumbnail to view full-size image)
Custom models and textures
Additional to the variants, several re-textures and styles are available:
The regular Fer-de-Lance as described on this page is part of the standard game. For the OXP ships please follow the links in the sections "variants" or "OXPS".
- Fer de Lance SS, part of Simon B's Ships OXP - Simon B designs rejigged by CaptSolo to be compatible with v1.80 & newer
- FdL Lightspeeder, available on the Expansions Manager - a nostalgic style by Redspear (2016)
- Fer de Lance NG - the "Next Generation" by Montana05 (2021)
- Fer-de-Lance 3G, available on the Expansions Manager - the "3rd Generation" by Uk Eliter (2014)
- Fer-de-Pai, available on the Expansions Manager - an improved remake of the Ferdepai by Montana05 (2021)
- Ferdepai or Fer d'Épeé, a naval non-luxury version by johnsmith (2006). Warning: This OXP can not be modified and therefore is not maintained.
- Gsagostinho's Texture Pack: Fer-de-Lance, a number of great retextures for the core-ship, available on the Expansions Manager