Mining lasers are highly powered, slow firing Pulse Lasers which are specifically tuned to fragment rather than destroy asteroids. Where other weapons would have little effect, or blast an asteroid beyond mineral retrieval, this is an effective tool. Only ships exclusively dedicated to mining would have this equipment mounted fore, as they would be an agonizing main weapon to take into battle, however it is rumoured that experienced, unscrupulous pirates sometimes use these to provoke involuntary cargo ejections in their victims.
Kruger Model ARM64 Sp. Mining laser is highly recommended as both a trade and combat addition. Uses variable frequency laser rods of 200mm length, fired in wide beam, 100 channels/beam. The automatic debris-pattern lock ensures no large-sized fragments of the target asteroid impinge on ship space.
Most ships can easily be fitted with a fuel and matter scoop to enable collection of these smaller fragments.
Cost: 800.0 ₢. Techlevel: 11
- See Guide to Accuracy OXPs for a list of OXPs which help aiming!
- Laser Combat Reimagined OXP rejigs the mining laser, improving its power, making it slightly more useful for combat (as it was in Classic Elite).
- New lasers OXP introduces another 2 varieties of mining laser
- Laser Mount Switching System OXP allows switching between two lasers (say a mining & a military) on the same forwards or aft mount.
- Career Options for suggestions for a career in mining
- Mining lasers as weapons (2007)
- A new kind of laser (2011-13) - a switchable laser (offensive <-> mining) but takes time to do it.