Musings about Oolite: What I would like to see changed
- By in large I am extremely happy with Oolite the way that it is. While I find a number of faults in the Vanilla game these are almost all fixed by OXPs. My remaining issues are:
- Only 2-dimensional F6 charts with exactly 256 systems in each (thanks to Pleb for working on this one)
- Pocket universes: the inability to travel from one system to another without using a witchdrive jump
- Planet, sun & moon surfaces to show on the IFF scanner (Quirum Bombs show up, why not planets?)
- The simplified prices/economics system (thanks to Stranger & Phasted for helping improve things)
- The bizarre scales (thanks to Redspear for working on sorting this one out!)
- More NPC interaction/more to do outside the ship/more realistic landings/launches
- More control buttons for OXP equipment. For OXP equipment we just have Tab/0/N & ctrl-N to select the equipment; n & b to activate; and the four controlled colons to operate MFDs. Personally speaking, I really need another 2 equipment priming buttons and for Autolock & ILS to be made primable rather than automatic and suicidal. Thanks to Phkb for working on this one.
- OXP's which really change the game
- Phkb's Hermitage. Phkb's Ship configuration. Phkb's Smugglers. Phkb's Home System. Day's Diplomancy. Redspear's Weapon Laws. Norby's Telescope. Stranger's World.
Cholly's Library of formatting bits & bobs
Table Of Contents
If you have three or fewer headings but want to have a TOC, write either the magic word anywhere on the page to make it display at the default location, or
at the preferred position.
Or use Hides the table of contents (TOC).
How do I footnote? At the moment I can't!
The Sun is pretty big.<ref>E. Miller, The Sun, (New York: Academic Press, 2005), 23–25.</ref> The Moon, however, is not so big.<ref>R. Smith, "Size of the Moon", Scientific American, 46 (April 1978): 44–46.</ref>
Footnoting is impossible as the necessary add-on for the wiki has not been loaded into it: ...There are no references on Wikipedia. The
<ref> tags don't work. Apparently the Cite Extension has not been installed.
I tried the <ref>, </ref> & <references /> tags, but to no avail. None of them seem to do anything. According to Mediawiki, all this should work...
A strong and powerful heavy interceptor, based on the design of the first generation of the Asp Mark II Special. Substantially larger than the standard Asp Mark II, with a higher maximum speed, more energy banks and 2 pylons. It is purely a fighting ship, having no cargo capacity.
The Asp-X was licensed for civilian use and, although a rare sight, these ships could be encountered occasionally. They are favored by hunters and assassins and, inevitably, also by pirates and brigands.
Developed as a light Interceptor for Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy the Cobra2-X is a development of the (later abandoned) Cobra Mk II prototype. It is an effective light fighter/interceptor popular with Assassins and Hunters. The Cobra2-C derivative is intended as a courier ship (hence the 'C' designation) and its small hold also allows fitment of a Passenger Berth making it ideal for use as a taxi. The Cobra2-C is slower than the X-ship version but has up-graded equipment options and a Hyperdrive.
Developed as a medium Interceptor for Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy the Sidewinder-X is an evolution of the Sidewinder Scout Ship and is similar in specification and performance. However it is much larger and the increase in size means that it has slightly increased maximum speed and maneuverability over the Scoutship. The Sidewinder-X also has up-graded equipment options and a Hyperdrive.
! ! ! ! !
s s s s s s s s s s
|Wine Cooler OXP|
Lifted from Phkb's BroadcastComms MFD page
|I don't really see the need for a timeline or a backstory. |
The way things are is just the way things are; I don't need to know where Earth is, or how human beings got from there (if they did) to where they are now. For me, a large part of the appeal of the game is its vagueness. It's as close to a blank slate as we can get, and it's built to be modded all over the shop to everyone's individual preferences.