Cholmondeley (Pronunciation: IPAc-en ˈ tʃ ʌ m l i or CHUM-lee). See Ghoti is pronounced Fish
With a deep abiding loathing of grammatical infelicities and typographical misdeeds, Cholmondeley is slowly assaulting the pages of this Wikipedia in an attempt to bring serenity and grammatical glory to its contents.
If you can replace any of my ghastly screenshots with a better: please, please do so!
I should mention that both Montana05 and Cody have been very helpful in all this. As have Stranger, Redspear, and User2375. If I've forgotten your name, I grovel!
Some of the New Wiki pages
- Vanilla game
- Expansions Manager born through not finding a guide to what the colours meant - combined with utter failure to use the x button for extraction.
- Tutorial to list the various lessons and re-iterate the method of stepping through it
- Torus Drive felt this was very much needed (I spent about a month with Shaky Drive .oxp installed - thanks to Norby's combination packs - and could not work out why I was not flying normally! - scoured the wiki, found nothing). This led to a reworking of the Equipment pages (originally for FFE) and the adding of Standard Equipment to both the page and the template. Also added a taster of .oxp equipment to what was previously just standard optional equipment.
- Also added Cargo Hold, Compass, Engine, Life Support Systems, Shields & Ship's Hull. 3 left to do (unless I find others!)
- Buttonboxes raising awareness of putative real-life Astrogation Boards!
- Joysticks and Gamepads rehabilitated from an indirect - and now with vital information about Precision Flying on it previously buried in the BB - linked to Linux page, Dizzy's page (& the Mac Thrustmaster Harness).
- Joysticks: Guide to Setting Up with a small selection of examples
- Keyboard Issues
- New: eg Diplomancy OXP, BPlanets, Target System Plugins, FPO Lave & FPO Zaonce
- Old: eg Extra Thargoids, Zieman's Habitat Orbital Station, Shaky Drive, Galaxy Names OXP, Distant Realms, NPC equipment damage OXP
- Mouldy: eg Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy, Monument, BioSphere station, RS
- Ship's Library OXP with much detail about the excellent Ship's Manual and the Extracts from the Tre Clan
- The Strangers World OXPs (almost all) - and also a page on Solar Wind Flux to explain it.
- Redspear's OXPs (some)
- Mining IFF Scanner Upgrade - first OXP I've come across written by a woman!
- Vimana HUD: wanted to raise awareness of an inspiring HUD
- MFD with the missing MFD OXZs from the wiki
- How to tweak OXZ's - started - needs an expert to go over it
- Guide to Ambience OXPs - mostly finished, unsure how to complete. But I think it now does what it should.
- Guide to Unlisted OXPs - started - I've unearthed a hundred or so in my digging
- Guide to Accuracy OXPs - started
- User:Another_commander - with his superb essay about Oolite vs Elite combat
- User:Captain Beatnik
- User:Diziet Sma
- User:Dybal - wanted to encourage the chap but very worried that I may have trodden on his corns instead!
- User:P.A. Groove with links to his music & films
- User:Redspear & Weapon Laws OXP: felt this was needed. Lots of fascinating stuff but virtually nothing on wiki
- User:Stranger & some of his OXPs: felt need to raise awareness: virtually nothing on wiki
- User:Uk Eliter & Fer-de-Lance 3G OXP - Put his excellent promotional material on wiki: learned use of tables!
- Lore, History, Time, Law, Economics, Species, The Eight
- Religion, Church of Giles the Creator with some theology, applied theology & eschatology.
- Amnesty InterGalactic, Edible Poets
- Tibecea (Rough Guide) learned use of templates & added the various ship pages for the Rough Guide from the BB threads.
- The Space Traders Flight Training Manual, Oolite Literature
- Combat Manoeuvers,
- Obnoxicorp, Murgh Shipyards, Zorgon Petterson Group, Marine Trench Co., Aegidian Industries, Lance & Ferman
- Slang, Sports
- The Great Rift
- Finally added in Captain Hesperus's Dicky-Bow Run which had been languishing in the back of our BB for 14 years!
Talking about Oolite
Structure of this wiki
- Redirect pages for ANA, STE, MTS etc. Also for equipment for GalCop Missions which has a wider usage
- New categories: Lore, Stranger's World, Racing, Classic Elites, Classic Ships
- Collecting the various Help pages and linking them together with a new head page: How do I ....
Sorting out messes
- Adding links & lists of relevant OXPs to Hyperspace/Quirium/Witch Fuel Injectors etc
- Sorting out the various Rock Hermit (Oolite) pages and their OXPs
- Sorting out the ghastly Lave & Tionisla messes with lashes of lavish linking
- Sorted out the Ascension - Sector1/Sori mess. Also referenced Ascension in Weapon Laws OXP for those using it.
- Tried to sort out the muddle with 4/5 different library pages (library.oxp, cim's ship's library, spara's technical library, etc.) by adding a disambiguation section at the top of the most confusing pages: BB beg.
- Tidied up the OXPList page, reducing entry sizes to just the one line on my screen (11 inch?), and sorted out the Ship's Library oxps.
- Sorted out all but the gnat's link on Complete Ship List
- Linked all the various Thargoid OXPs together.
- Linked the various fuel tank OXPs together.
- Tried to make sense of the Racing pages Zorg Racing, Ring Racer OXP et al.
- Linking together the disparate pages on systems/planets: the Oolite Planet List family with the Galaxy Guide family with the new pages on The Eight & Maps
- Lots of work on User:Cim with links to the fascinating debates on the development of v1.80 & v.1.82
- Ditto for User:Ahruman
- Editing various user pages and then pm-ing the people in a desperate attempt to draw them back. People are important and deserve recognition for the things they do right. I'm fed up with only ever blaming people for things they do wrong.
- In the handful of cases where I've been able to contribute meaningfully to the various Frontier pages, I've done so too.
- Adding in a little historical context and links to the Realistic Shipyards page
- Listed Cody's fiction
- Trying to raise awareness of SOTL and Strangers World, so bunged in links right, left and centre!
- Ditto with User:Redspear's work
- Links for downloading older versions of Oolite
- Snark was fun. Montana05 was very helpful.
- Rejigs of The Dark Wheel & Robert Holdstock
- Rejig of GalCop & Oolite timeline
- Rough Guide: Isence (Rough Guide), Qutiri (Rough Guide) and Zarece (Rough Guide): built up the stubs
- More links for the Powers and Organisations page
- Building up the Systems pages: Copied much of the planet-specific gubbins from the Powers and Organisations page and detailed ship histories onto the relevant planets pages.
- Linking the better fiction to relevant pages in the wiki (eg Species).
- Added in gubbins on the history of the development of the game of Oolite
- Links for the various Help pages (some of which have hopefully been thus rescued from utter obscurity)
- Fleshed out Milkrun with sample routes and maps - also Short Range Chart
- More links for the Career Options page
- Finish Stranger's oxp pages (almost there!)
- Finish Redspear's oxp pages (where he has rejigged everything several times and one can't work out what is what anymore!)
- Go over ship's basic equipment pages with new pages for installed stuff (like the Torus Drive) and with links to relevant .oxp's (almost done)
- Do a Keyboards page if I ever get enough information: French keyboard keys troubleshooting, Nordic Keyboard & Numeric Keypad. Croatian Keyboard.
Broken '\': how to solve that?: 3 devs on keyboard issues (2009) Also swapping roll vs yaw. Could do with an OXP?
- Enliven the Sector1/Digebiti page
- Finish incorporating programming tweaks from the BB onto the pages of relevant OXPs. (major project). Just a handful so far: Laser Booster OXP, Commanders Log OXP, Deep Space Dredger & Commies.
- Update OXPList with unlisted OXPs (leave OXZs for OXZ list on Oolite website).
- Extract lore from The Dark Wheel etc and incorporate into wiki pages
- User:Snork/to-do-list look over
- User:Spara look over
- User:Svengali look over
- User:Thargoid look over
- User:Treczoks look over
- User:Tricky look over
- User:Zireael look over
- Alternative Galaxies for Oolite: Galaxy seeds and system properties 2012 thread; OoniverseRepopulation 2017 attempt.
- Quote: ... Oolite is not "just a shooter" game. But it would be very interesting someday to see what it could be like if even half of the attention and effort that has gone into the combat related functions was expended on the economic and cultural possibilities Ganelon
- Inspiration: A man I would be honoured to meet