The ionic repulsion drive is the standard mode of conveyance for most space vessels. The Cobra Mk III is fitted with two Kruger “lightfast” motors, each capable of 1.21 gigawatts power. This provides a top speed of just over 30 light mach.
The motors are mounted either side of the ship's centreline in approximately the centre of the engineering section at the rear of the ship. The large plasma vents allow maximum yield of charged particles from the motors.
The w and s controls on your Astrogation Console will increase or decrease the velocity.
The Main Engine/System Drive is the slowest of the three drives in your Cobra Mk III, the others being the Torus Drive and the Witchspace/Hyperspace Drive.
How does the engine function? What is it that is actually coming out of the back of the 'thrusters' (blue-tinged something)? How can it work without using fuel? The traditional answers in Oolite circles involve the use of "handwavium". But note this: in Oolite much of what is, is because it is deemed to make the game more playable. Classic Elite's engines worked in this same way, it was much more playable than the more realistic Newtonian Frontier family of games, so Oolite sticks with it - especially since the game started as a rewrite of Elite (with minor tweaks) for the AppleMac!).
There seem to be two main theories about the workings of the engine. These differ on their approach to Newtonian physics. The auto-compensation approach holds that the Newtonian underlying reality is masked by the astrogation computer, which corrects the flying experience to make it seem non-Newtonian. The phlogiston approach sticks with non-Newtonian physics and is rather more dramatic!
See the discussion in 2009. The following points were made:
- We have speed control rather than thrust control (phonebook)
- Debate about a faulty auto-compensation theory, assuming retro-thrusters which the astrogation computer uses for correcting flight.
- Our ships have big flaring jets of something blue and glowing coming out their rears, that get bigger when we go faster. But when we slow down, there are no big jets shooting out the front. Plus, again, no fuel is used – so these can't be rocket motors. We're forced to turn to technobabble and explain the rear jets away as being some sort of trailing wake of disturbed spacetime, left behind by our thoroughly non-Newtonian system drives ... (Disembodied)
- normal space-drives burrow through the semi-rigid phlogiston leaving glowing subspace channels that heal at a constant rate, like hot boiled prunes through icy jelly (Aegidian)
Trawling through the BB will reveal other such discussions.
- 2007: Disembodied's original theory - see later discussion
- 2009: Oolite Engine Function Question: both theories, musings about the inside of a ship (JameSpal), physics (KZ9999)
- 2009: Explanations wanted!: see Disembodied's lengthy disquisition.
- 2010: See bottom of this post
- 2021: How does my Cobra's energy supply work? Nite Owl's alternative theory
- Engine Sound allows the sound of the engine to be heard in game
- Q-Charger increases speed at a cost in both fuel and energy
- Hard Way causes the engine to consume fuel in its operation.
- Breakable Engines introduces a new breakable equipment System Drive listed on the Ship's Manifest.
- Ship Configuration OXP allows a choice of 42 ship's engines with implications for cargo space and weight. There is also a choice of some 39 varieties of Thruster and 7 classes of booster. Warning: a very complicated OXP!