The ships hull is mostly made out of Duraluminum.
When a ship is destroyed duraluminum alloys often survive. It is more heat resistant and glows for a while and can then be scooped. This is why some of the metal (such as aluminium) burns and the other parts only glow.
- BattleDamage makes hull damage in battle meaningful, requiring Emergency Hull Repairs or a Maintenance Overhaul.
- IronHide OXP overlays the hull with armour, protecting the ship. If damaged, it needs repair.
- HardShips allows underlaying the hull with extra armour to protect vulnerable areas.
- What is the Emergency hull shield? (2021)
- Technical Discussion on graphically modelling damage to hull interspersed with comments on what would actually happen in the vacuum of space (2009-12).