Additional Planets SR (for System Redux) was originally designed to create additional planets in the solar systems using the textures from the System Redux and System Demux OXPs, while allowing the main planets textures to be taken from the Povray Planets texture packs.
- Over 200 textures are made available for planets and moons
- These textures are quite different to those for the main planet
- Textures sets can be combined as wished by the user, with Oolite's native textures taking the place of any 'missing' sets
- Gas Giants are given a separate planetary class, and are significantly larger than other planets.
- Cinematic placement of bodies. You can now see all of the main planet's moons from the witchpoint and planets are kept away from the sun so as not to highlight how small it is.
- Much easier to customise. Besides the texture packs themselves, you can also set max planets and moons within a system (with no strict limits). Other elements, such as rarity of gas giants, can also be adjusted. The default settings (maximum 4 planets with up to 3 moons each) are adjustable with OXPConfig or by tweaking the OXP. Expansion is outwards and there is no limit.
The Additional Planets suite of OXPs
- Additional Planets SR Base the game mechanism to operate the texture packs below 7Kb
- Additional Planets Redux Pack the old system redux textures, featuring 16 planet textures with clouds & 8 moons: textures to match each planet's F7 description 12.2Mb
- Additional Planets Demux Pack the old system demux textures, 32 planets & 32 moons - these are low resolution 16.5Mb
- Additional Planets SR Demux Volcanic Pack 10 textures 7.6Mb
- Additional Planets SR: Earthlike 20 textures 56.9Mb
- Additional Planets SR: Alien Worlds 17 textures 54.5Mb
- Additional Planets SR: Ocean Worlds 8 textures 26.1Mb
- Additional Planets SR: Others Gas Giants pack 6 textures 19.5Mb
- Additional Planets SR: free bitmaps dusty 14 textures 87.5Mb
- Additional Planets SR: free bitmaps icy 9 textures 67.4Mb
- Additional Planets SR: free bitmaps rocky 12 textures 81.8Mb
These 11 OXZs are downloaded as usual through the in-game Expansions Manager
More packs (stations)
- Stations for Extra Planets - this contains a station spotter add-on!
- Superhub for Extra Planets
These 2 OXZs are downloaded as usual through the in-game Expansions Manager
More packs (planets & moons)
The following are listed on the BB thread (some may already be included above... it is a little confusing!):
- Free Bitmaps 1.2 (242.2 MB) 36 high-res textures used for both planets and moons: https://app.box.com/s/abizmiiztmg648r1irf6 (origin of the dusty, icy & rocky packs above)
- Others Planets 1.1 (13.4 MB) 10 planet textures: https://app.box.com/s/34k7sy880mm1p2pxwl4k
- Others Moons 1.1 (9.5 MB) 10 moon textures: https://app.box.com/s/rzm9yqxh56b09mkc6tza
- Demux Cratered (1.2MB) 9 planet textures: https://app.box.com/s/15joxsq84gp29z5yyc6z
These are OXPs and must be download and added in manually to your AddOns folder - see Installing an OXP
GalCop Health Warnings
- Note that these packs were first created in 2013. Oolite versions 1.88 & 1.90 (2018-20) allow for more sophisticated planet renderings.
- Conflicts with Strangers World solar systems which use a different game mechanic (and place planets "naturally" rather than in scenic locations)
- Clashes with the now deprecated System Redux, System Demux and DeepHorizon Systems oxps.
- There are instructions in the ReadMe for adding your own textures.
- How to tweak OXZ's
This work was originally initiated by Redspear by tweaking System Demux and combining textures from various sources. Later scripting by Spara used System Redux as a base to provide compatibility with numerous other oxps that have been tuned to work with System Redux. For that reason this oxp internally uses the name System Redux.
- Guide to Ambience OXPs
- BB thread on Additional Planets oxp.
- On Orbits and Sun Distance: Dynamic systems that don't look the same every time you enter them. Great.
- One problem however is that whilst they often look different they don't always look good.
- Throw in the fact that you'll likely need a greater than normal sun distance and things can get rather dark and obscured. (Redspear's BB thread 2019)
The older OXPs:
- Additional_planets_sr_base_0.7.oxz downloaded 13412 times.
- Additional_planets_sr_pack_redux_1.1.oxz downloaded 12956 times.
- Additional_planets_sr_demux_gas_giants_1.1.oxz downloaded 7561 times.
- Oolite.oxp.redspear.additional_planets_sr_demux_volcanic.oxz downloaded 6319 times.
- Oolite.oxp.redspear.additional_planets_sr_others_gas_giants.oxz downloaded 11846 times.
- Oolite.oxp.redspear.additional_planets_sr_demux_alien_pack.oxz downloaded 6096 times.
- Oolite.oxp.redspear.additional_planets_sr_demux_earthlike_pack.oxz downloaded 6237 times.
- Oolite.oxp.redspear.additional_planets_sr_demux_ocean_pack.oxz downloaded 5979 times.