Based in the Lerelace system (28 light years from Lave), shipbuilder Taranis Corp originally had its main offices on the planet's surface, but strong sales of the Outrider escort vessel enabled the firm to relocate to a new orbital HQ, while retaining a few facilities "planetside". The cost of the HQ is unknown, but is estimated at around half a billion credits, a colossal sum even by the standards of big business. Noted Ineran architect Philippe K Lizzard reportedly had a hand in its design.
In addition to being the company's managerial and administrative centre, Taranis's HQ houses extensive R&D facilities and accommodation for its staff, many of whom rarely leave the premises. The most opulent interiors are to be found on the executive levels in the rotating central sphere; the outer ring uses artificial gravity, except in certain zero-G test areas. The ring has a diameter of over 4.6km, while "The Ball", as it is known, has a diameter of around 2.3km.
The HQ is extremely well defended, thanks largely to Taranis's military connections. Anyone attempting an assault would have to contend with military-grade shields far more powerful than those of even a Torus station, 41 turrets and a squadron of five Outriders, reportedly equipped with military lasers and enhanced shields.
Less suicidal visitors will be able to take advantage of tech-level-15 ship-outfitting facilities and a shop selling a range of luxury items bearing the Taranis logo.
- Roberto (author)
- Maik (Fixed wrong definition at the Taranis station commodities.plist)
- Eric Walch (anti mission clash code, Converted to JS)
- Thanks to all those who have assisted me - especially Giles, Murgh and Arexack_Heretic| (who helped me through my darkest hours with the AIs!).
- Thanks again to Murgh for the use of his Wolf Mark II as the mission ship.
Version 1.3: Translation to JS.
Version 1.2: Bugfix with commodities on the Taranis station. (Still available here for older oolites)
Version 1.1: Added anti mission-clash code.
Version 1.0: Original release.
"Easy". The ships appearing in the OXP are within the power-range of the standard set of ships. You wouldn't need a full Iron Ass to take them on, but you should have some basic upgrades fitted such as a Beam Laser, Fuel Injectors, an energy unit and perhaps Shield Boosters.
Installing and Playing
- Downloadable through the in-game Expansions Manager
- Download Taranis_1.3.oxz v1.3 (downloaded 3368 times).
- Download Taranis Corporation HQ OXP. version 1.3, Updated 20 May 2012.
- Needs Oolite 1.74 or newer.
If you downloaded the older OXP, unzip the download file. This will create a folder named "Taranis xxx". Open this folder and you will see a folder named "Taranis xxx.oxp" and a readme. Move the Taranis xxx.oxp folder to AddOns. As with all older OXPs, it is the folder ending .oxp that you need to put in Oolite's AddOns folder, otherwise Oolite will not read it.
- Note: The Taranis Corporation HQ is the starting point for these missions, so the package for both is now the same.
- Author: Roberto
- This work is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 3.0 (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0).
- To view a copy of this license visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0.