Automatic Chaff System
From Elite Wiki
The system is available at Tech Level 12+ planets, for 2500 credits. Reloads are available from Tech Level 5+ planets for only 500 credits.
- Chaff packages are deployed from a reloadable 25-round magazine. Magazines are reloaded to full, with a cash refund on any unused ammo. Ammo load seems high, but you'll be glad of the extra if your ECM/ACS/Analyzer breaks.
- A chaff ammo counter is visible on the manifest (F5-F5) screen, you also get a HUD message on launch and emergence from witchspace.
- Smart Countermeasure Selection & Failsafe Modes: ACS is designed with failsafe features.
- In normal operation, it triggers the ECM when standard and Military class missiles are detected, and deploys chaff for all other missiles and torpedoes.
- In case of the Analyzer being damaged, ACS uses both ECM and chaff for all hostile missiles.
- If out of chaff, ACS attempts to pop all missiles with the ECM.
- If ECM is damaged and ammo remains, ACS falls back to chaff for all hostile missiles.
- Panic Mode: When no countermeasure is available due to damage and/or empty magazine, ACS engages "Panic Mode", sending a warning to the Commander to use manual skills to shake the missile.
- The Commander is strongly advised to never let his/her/it's manual missile evasion skills go to rust. Not only may you run out of chaff, but Murphy never sleeps, and this system is not 100% effective. YMMV.
- ACS is great for salvo-fired missiles. The more missiles in flight, the better the chances the chaff will stop them. However, chaff can affect your missiles too.
- The chaff is designed to lure missiles away from your ship. It works better at a distance, and may not distract missiles fired at point-blank ranges.
- ACS can operate as a stand-alone product, or as a backup or compliment to the AMS.
- v1.2 Fixed for Oolite v1.74, released 21st June 2010.
- Missile Spoof (ACS v2.0) for Oolite 1.75.x, released Jun 19, 2011
- Missile Spoof thread on Oolite BB
- Missile tactics
- Missile Analyser
- Missiles and Bombs
- AMS OXP now incorporated into Armoury OXP
- Missile Combat Reimagined