MilSpec HUD OXP
The MilHUD is an important combat HUD which has influenced the development of many others.
This is the Military Specification HUD. MilHUD, for short. This design is the product of Cmdr Wyvern's extensive experience in combat.
This HUD follows the KISS rule and the result is a HUD that's all business. The purpose of MilHUD is to maximize the functionality of Oolite's visual interface. The eyecandy is kept to a minimum, because too much candy means too little functionality.
Combat follows a simple formula: Be lethal or be dead!
- Target sensitivity built-in. The STE box will turn red when on target.
- Clustered compass and three-axis turn co-ordinator. Yaw indicator above the compass, roll below, pitch to the side.
- Sens-O-Cloak status light. Status light takes on an odd, subtle glow when the cloak is running.
- "Smoked Glass" underlays for radar, compass, and dials. Improves their visibility dramatically.
- NEW in v4.0: A next generation gun pipper system, the SquareShot holographic lasersight, designed to work in tandom with the Scanner Targeting Enhancement. A basic SquareShot mode is available without an STE, but the basic mode is usable at best at close ranges. To realize SquareShot's full capabilities, equip an STE.
- New in v4.0: Messages and Comms appear in separate boxes above the lasersight, not scrolling up the middle of the screen.
- Fully customisable: Each element can be tweaked or disabled to your liking - details below.
- Minimal Docked HUD showing just clock & missile bays status
Requirements & Versions
Version 4.0 uses features from Oolite 1.74 or greater.
The improvements in the Vanilla game's coding for HUDs saw a steady stream of improvements with MilHUD between 2007 and 2011
- version 4.0 (NEW SquareShot holographic lasersight, Comms & Message boxes, rewritten in Openstep format)
- version 3.4 (Dynamic switching version for various alerts).
- version 3.1 (Fixed version for 1.74, updated 21st June 2010, added Joystick precision indicator).
- version 3.0 (1.73 recommended, may work on earlier versions, updated 5th August 2009)
- version 2 (OOSat 2) (1.65-1.72.2)
- An older version (from 2007/8) is included as part of the Dragon ship's .oxp.
Further customisation is easily achieved by editing the property list (.plist file.)
- In version 1.73/trunk the HUD is broken into components. Editing is possible in earlier versions but 1.73 provides the greatest flexibility.
- The colours and transparency of the four elements of MilHUD's sniper sight can be tweaked individually via their <alpha> keys.
- For example it is possible to disable elements by setting alpha to 0.0 if the Cmdr wishes to retain elements of the original reticule display.
There is a possibility of this upgrade conflicting with the built-in reticule in earlier versions.
Unknown, but Cdr Wyvern seems to have been happy with allowing others to adapt his code.
- Devised and written by Commander Wyvern
- (RELEASE) MilHUD 4.0 (2011-14)
- Version 3.4 forum announcement (2010)
- Version 3.1 forum announcement (2010)
- Version 3.0 forum announcement (2009)
- Original Version 1.0 & 2.0 announcements (2007)
MilHUD has been very influential as can be seen beneath (these even took their name from this one!)