This OXP adds satellites to the main planet, plus any secondary planets that may be available through Additional Planets.
|Ideas with a revolutionary potential sometimes remain underestimated or just unnoticed!
This is the case for the Satellites OXP (author – Rorschachhamster). Seemingly just a nice exercise in coding and just one more OXP in the Ambience category.
But, it is a jolly hard task to simulate true orbital dynamics in Oolite:
In the real world, the calculation of orbital dynamics is based on the integration of acceleration vectors and on the energy conservation law. If you have no acceleration produced by a propulsion engine, your total energy (sum of kinetic and potential energy) would have a constant value. So on an elliptic orbit you’ll trade velocity for altitude and vice versa.
In Oolite we have no gravity nor energy. Acceleration is limited to propulsion acceleration/deceleration parameter thrust and this is not a vector value – it is just the rate of change of ship speed. So we need some trick to simulate true orbital dynamics – calculating the ship's position for the next frame and placing the ship directly into it.
Bad idea. Forget it.
Satellites OXP uses a more elegant approach, based on AI behavior. It generates a realistically looking pattern of circular movement around a planet without sophisticated mathematics.
|Source: Stranger's introduction to his Orbital Stations OXP|
There are 4 different types of satellite that can be added to a system.
These satellites are designed to map and scan planetary regions, down to a very fine detail level.
COM and COMLR Satellites
These satellites aid and facilitate intra- and inter-planetary communications.
These satellites are designed to scan deep space for anomalies (like Thargoid invasion craft or rogue comets and asteroids).
This OXP is released under the Creative Commons Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike 3.0 license. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
- Fixed small bug that was preventing 2 satellite types from having their beacons hidden on secondary planets.
- Fixed bugs with Library interface.
- Destroyed satellites will stay destroyed in the current system until you leave.
- Small bugfix in the save game routine.
- Small bugfix in the new populator.
- Reworked populator methods to use new functions, and to make the number and types of satellites the same in each system.
- Added satellites to any extra planets in the system.
- Added Library config options to turn off beacons and control the number of satellites spawned.
- Added check if mainplanet is existent, in case of nova system... and corrected versions in scripts.
- Added AI-code by Dr.Tripsa, that will let spy-sats work as police, and reduced texture size with Optipng thanks to a tip from Shipbuilder. Cleaned up the shipdata.plist, as well.
- ...and if you change the texture names, you should change the names in the model.dats as well... and I should probably test before I release a "fixed" version. Sorry.
- --and deleted a paste and copy error...
- Changed the roles, models , textures etc. to more unique names to avoid compatability issues, thanks again to Eric Walch. Corrected the demoship.plist, so that all 4 satellites can be seen...
- Original release.
- Dragonships - Rorschachhamster's other oxp
|1.10||2017-10-12||CC BY-NC-SA 3.0||Satellites||Ambience OXPs||Rorschachhamster, phkb||Oolite BB|