Fuel Leaks lead to loss of all of your fuel.
Depending on the circumstances, this can be deadly. No fuel for witchspace/hyperspace jumps. No fuel for witchfuel injectors.
They occur as the result of skipping maintenance overhauls.
Fuel Scoops might help remedy matter if you can get to the sun before the McNasties get to you!
Fuel Leaks within the Strangers World suite of oxp's are even more deadly as the game mechanics change: regular engine use and the ship's systems (life support, shields, etc) also require fuel for operation.
Realistic Damage OXP's
- Battle Damage can cause fuel leaks if your hull is hit
- Custom Shields can do the same.
- HardShips - ditto
- RocketShips feature fuel leaks depending on which side of the ship gets hit in combat
- Fuel Tanks: there are a selection of 4 different OXPs to choose from (Fuel Tank, Internal Fuel Tank, Extra Fuel Tanks & Duplex Fuel Tank)
- Fuel Tweaks allows scooping of fuel at distance from the sun, together with its storage and use
- Fuel Collector allows slow scooping of fuel at a distance from the sun - and Fuel Tweaks allows storage and reuse of it
- Fuel Generator transmogrifies energy into fuel (most effective on massive ships with many energy banks)