Simon B's Ships OXP
This page is devoted to Simon's Neolite ships. He also created the Re2dux Shipset.
This is a 2014 collection of Simon Bridge's models and textures from the following OXP's:
- Fer-de-Lance and Escape Pod from the 24 ships in his Neolite Ships OXP.
- Bushmaster Miner, Chameleon, Ghavial, Iguana, Monitor, Mussurana, Ophidan Yacht, Python Class Cruiser, and Salamander from Neolite Companion OXP (over half of them).
- Asp Explorer, Cobra Courier, Cobra Rapier, Drake Mk I, and Wolf Mk I from Neolite Wolfies OXP (almost all of them).
I've always been a fan of Simon Bridge's modeling and texturing skills. My aim with this OXP was to add some visual effects by rendering the ships with new shaders and textures. Well, the shaders aren't exactly new. I used Oolite's built in vertex shader and Keeper's fragment shader. Another goal was to bring these ships up to speed for Oolite 1.80, which offers new AI's and ship roles.
I left Simon's diffuse textures untouched but I tweaked the models in Wings3D to give each ship a streamlined appearance rather than all hard edges. I used the diffuse texture as a base and created from them the following:
- Greyscale specular map in the alpha channel of the diffuse texture.
- Effects Map for glowing effects.
- Normal Map with a greyscale hull tint map in the alpha channel.
I thoroughly tested each ship for validation of all hard points for the shipdata.plist. I adjusted the weapons and view positions as needed. Aft views were edited so the exhaust plume would not obscure the HUD or interfere with targeting. I amended the shipyard.plist and created a shiplibrary.plist.
Click on thumbnails to view full sized images.
|Ship||Max Cargo||Max Velocity||Energy||Weapon Facings||Pylons||Shields||Base Price|
|Asp Explorer||5||380||350/4.25||2||1||Both||300,000 Cr.|
|Cobra Courier||30||350||256/4.5||4||2||Both||250,000 Cr.|
|Cobra Rapier||25||360||320/4.5||2||2||Both||175,000 Cr.|
|Drake Mk. I||10||300||256/2.5||2||2||Both||125,000 Cr.|
|Fer-de-Lance SS||12||350||256/4.5||2||2||Both||450,000 Cr.|
|Ophidian Yacht||20||360||220/3.0||2||2||Both||175,000 Cr.|
|Python Class Cruiser||75||350||450/3.5||2||4||Boosters||350,000 Cr.|
|Wolf Mk. I||15||400||320/4.25||2||2||Both||250,000 Cr.|
Move or copy the file, "SimonB's_Ships1.0.oxz" into your AddOns folder. Where that resides depends on the location of your Oolite installation.
Minimum requirement is Oolite 1.80. No dependencies.
Simon B (2011-13)
- Simon Bridges' neolites ships collection in Box
- neolite-wolfies (based on [[Wolfwood Interstellar Technologies|Wolfwood's Variants 2006)
Note that a number of his ships come with a customised HUD!
- Simon Bridges' re2dux ships collection in Box
- sb-faves (cobra variants)