Povray Planets aims to provide a high resolution texture for every planet in each galaxy - generated/rendered based on seed values in the spirit of Elite/Oolite.
This OXP is split such that the bulk of the scripting is provided by a base OXP, with the textures provided separately via Povray_Planets_GalaxyX_Textures. The aim of this is to allow modifications to behaviour and bugfixes to be released without the burden of another large download.
All textures are provided as cube maps 512x3072.
Famous Planets OXP is based on Povray Planets.
Oolite 1.75 or greater
Povray Planets base OXP 3KB -
This only provides scripting support and is required by the texture OXPs.
You don't need this OXP to use povray planets. Its support for playing with other planet/system texturing OXP's is poorly written. No longer recommended.
Galaxy Textures OXPs
Alternate Download Links
Due to bandwidth limitations, the above links may not work at times. If so, you can try these alternative links:
To remove the cloud cover (from gas giants only) so that you can see the textures: https://app.box.com/s/umvw0hmmoiiqwti6fa33zrlmdjvc150b
Follow the instructions here
Some of the Povray textures seem to have seams - specifically Teraed, Laenin and Biarge in Galaxy 1. If this is an issue for you, Murgh has fixes which will be found here.
- Famous Planets OXP - puts descriptions of the Povray Planets on the F7 screen
- Guide to Ambience OXPs
- Povray Planets OXP - Galaxies 4,5 missing (2020)
- Oolite 1.86 and Povray Planets. (2017)
- Higher resolution Textures for Famous / Povray planets (2013)
- Famous Planets 2.7 (Famous Planets for Povray) (2013)
- Problem Povray Planets (2012) - for recording utterly wrong or incongruous planets
- Povray Planets 1.0 (2012)
- Povray Planets 0.2 (2011)
- Povray Planets BETA 0.18 More variety (2011)
- Povray Planets BETA - 256 planet textures for Galaxy 1 (2011)
- Famous Planets 2.5.OXP and Famous Planets for Povray (2010)