The 'Gnat', a small fighter from the aborted Elite 2 project by Braben & Bell. The Gnat in Oolite appears in a few OXPs and with differing textures.
|Cargo bay extension||n/a|
|Maximum speed||0.380 LM|
|Energy recharge rate||
|Shield boosters available||Yes|
|Military shields available||No|
|OXP or standard||OXP|
|Available to player||Yes|
A fragile, light fighter.
Rumour has it that the original design blueprints were misinterpreted by the shipyard crew giving the ship an odd, 'back-to-front' appearance. It has two missile bays. This version has a hyperdrive.
The Decals are alterable: see Decal - you will also need to download Griff Shipset Decals to run this oxp
Iron Ass version
The feisty Gnat is an annoying fighter that may as easily be in the escort service as the piracy business. Highly manoeuvrable craft, its obvious blemish is the lack of a hyperdrive.
Murgh retextured the vanilla game ships, as well as many of the old favourites, including this gnat. You might wish to load up all of his retexture oxp's (Iron Ass vols 1-5) as well as his Iron Ass version of the Lave OXP. By the way, the humour in his Iron Ass Missionaries OXP is quite brilliant!
- Gnat by Griff - downloadable through the in-game Expansions Manager
- Iron Ass Vol.2 contains a dark metal retro version, the Iron Ass Gnat
(Griff Version License: CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0)
- V1.4.2 - 20 May 2015 - Added hull 'weathering' effects to NPC and Player versions
- V1.4.1 - 15 June 2014 - Fixed missing material name 'Hull' in shipdata.plist
- v1.4 - 14 June 2014 - New fragment shaders
- v1.3 - 13 December 2013 - modified alternative paint scheme texture and updated shaders accordingly, fixed ship stats
- v126.96.36.199 - 30 August 2013 - Simplified some of the glow code in the shader
- v188.8.131.52 - 30 August 2013 - Fixed bud in shader calculating lighting on ship decals. fixed engine inner glow being added twice
- v184.108.40.206 - 19 August 2013 - Further changes to textures. Fixed ambient lighting bug in fragment shader (paintmaps were being ignored in non-direct sunlight)
- v1.2.5 - 18 August 2013 - Small changes to textures. New fragment shader more closely based on the default Oolite shader
- V1.2.4 - 17 August 2013 - fixed bug in fragment shader causing it to fail in simple shader mode
- V1.2.3 - 19 July 2013 - changed the new engine flicker effect to a fuzzy noise effect
- V1.2.2 - 18 July 2013 - added some extra engine flicker
- v1.2.1 - 14 July 2013 - fixed missing normalmap texture on the cockpit 'glass'
- v1.2 - 14 July 2013 - Added minimum brightness check to PaintColor1 to stop it getting too dark
- V1.1 - 14 July 2013 - Added alternative paintmap scheme
- V1.0 - 14 July 2013 - first release