|Coluber CPV-9333 Pitviper|
|Cargo capacity||9 TC|
|Cargo bay extension|| 3 TC|
("Beast" variant only)
|Maximum speed||0.333 LM|
|Manoeuvrability|| Roll: 1.8|
|Energy recharge rate||
|Gun mounts||Fore, Aft|
|Shield boosters available||Yes|
|Military shields available||Yes|
|OXP or standard||OXP|
|Available to player||Yes|
|Base price||399999 Cr|
- 1 Overview
- 2 Notable features
- 3 Variations
- 4 Notable pilots
- 5 Upgrades
- 6 Custom paint jobs
- 7 Minimum requirements
- 8 Installation
- 9 Known issues
- 10 Oolite Forum thread
- 11 Gameplay and Balance indicator
- 12 Author
- 13 Credits
- 14 License
- 15 Download
What the Boa II is to the trader, the Pitviper is to the bounty-hunter. This corvette-class ship is the result of a joint venture between the Riredian Government and the Coluber Works and Shipyards Ltd. The HQ of the company is located in the Riredi system in galaxy one, and so they have very good connections to the local government.
The Pitviper is a straightforward combat vessel, a bounty-hunters dream. (And thus a pirates nightmare, of course).
The ships hull can not deny to be a insectoid design and thus - to human eyes - the ship looks quite ugly. Many of the outer technical details can not deny to be a human design and thus - to insect eyes - the ship looks quite ugly. But hey! They have put a nice paintwork on it.
In the Riredian culture and religion the numbers 3,6 and 9 are very meaningful and this circumstance had great influence on the design.(E.g. the vindicator can carry 27 = 3*9 missiles; 9 energy banks; 3 engines; etc.)
A special characteristic of the pitviper is its' forcefield-reinforced hull. This, together with the special design of the hull, enables the pilot to attack by ramming other ships. But be careful! If the speed is too high (or the opponents ship is really big), even a reinforced hull may break.
The military version Pitviper "Vindicator" is not available on the civilian market. This version has no cargo capacity, but can carry up to 27(!!) missiles. Its' main weapon is a reinforced military laser. This proprietary development of the Riredian navy has 30% more penetrating power than a common military laser and is also not available on the civilian market.
If you are lucky, you may get an offer to buy the "Beast", a special edition of the Pitviper. Coluber has gained a exceptional permission from the Riredian Government to equip a small amount of Pitvipers for the civilian market with the military engines and energy banks of the the "Vindicator" version. Of course, these vessels are rare and quite expensive.
- Diziet Sma commands the Blackwidow, a Pitviper Beast.
Maxwell D. Fishhead XXV (rank: deadly)
- Maxwell D. Fishhead XXV, a black furry feline from Diso, commands the Pitviper "Firewizard". Maxwall himself claims to be a tomcat of independent means who became rich at the 4D-roulette tables while others insist he became rich by smuggling firearms, medicines and even dissidents for the rebels on Leleer during the last civil war on this planet. Both could be true for he is an excellent spacepilot and an excellent gambler as well. Fact is, he won the Firewizard in an epic Lave-fold-em pokermatch. Though Fishhead may be a smuggler, apart from that he definitely is a tomcat of high ethical standards. On his travels he has rescued more than 50 souls found in distress at space and never accepted a reward for it.
Filgafel Saramant the younger (rank: harmless)
- Filgafel Saramant the Younger, oldest and only son of Filgafel Saramant the Elder, despot of Atriso, commands the Pitviper Beast "Shining Star of Atriso". Well, in fact he does not really "command" her. To say he tortures her through open space describes much better what he does. Filgafel is an absolutely inept pilot. But that does not matter much since he is the son of the despot and thus always has more than enough escortships with him that keep the spacelanes clear. Because money is no object for him, he can afford to be a bit gonzo: The entire vessel has a coating in a traditional weave pattern made from the finest furs of the Tibionisian deadly goat. Weird, isn´t it?
|Compatible equipment for this ship. Factory standard equipment is marked in bold, all other equipment can be added by the player.|
|Misc. Equipment||Advanced Space Compass • Docking Computers • Escape Capsule • Witch Fuel Injectors • Fuel Scoops • Galactic Hyperdrive • Multi-Targeting System • Passenger Berth • Scanner Targeting Enhancement|
|Weaponry||Energy Bomb • Beam Laser • Pulse Laser • Mining Laser • Military Laser|
|Defence||E.C.M. System • Extra Energy Unit • Naval Energy Unit • Military Shield Enhancement • Shield Boosters • External Heat Shielding|
Custom paint jobs
Click on images to view full-size.
Oolite 1.76+. No dependencies.
Download the ZIP-file, unzip and move the OXP-file from the unziped folder into the AddOns folder of your Oolite installation.
Oolite Forum thread
Please post your comments, questions, problems or bug reports on this OXP's BB thread here.
Gameplay and Balance indicator
This OXP was developed by Captain Beatnik.
Thanks go to Thargoid, Killer Wolf, JeffBTX, Wyvern, Smivs, Griff and CommonSenseOTB. I have learned very much by studying their work. Special thanks go to to Maik and Diziet Sma for the help with this wiki and testing the OXP.
This OXP is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0).
Pitviper MK II (CPV-12375)
Pitviper MK I (CPV-9333)
Pitviper_1_0_0_2012-09-09.zip (for Oolite 1.76.x - 1.77.x only)
Version 1.0.0 2012-09-09
- First release of this OXP
Version 1.1.0 2016-10-24 (Updated for Oolite 1.80+ and converted to OXZ format by Diziet Sma)