List of software
From Elite Wiki
Useful software to have when making an OXP.
Oolite specific converters
3D model applications
- Wings3D Cross-platform; Free. Highly advised for Oolite. A quick tutorial by Aegidian -> OXP_howto_model
- Meshwork OSX; Free.
- 3D mesh editor
- Blender3D Cross-platform, Free, powerful 3D modeller.
- UV Mapper (Pro), Mac and Windows, Texture mapping tool. Pro trial version for Windows available.
- xNormal This does certain things better than Blender, producing better quality normals, height, ambient occlusion. Windows only.
- Blacksmith3D-Paint Paint directly on to your model! It lets you paint straight over any seams in a manner that makes it very easy to see accurately which bits join exactly where. Windows and Mac.
- Normal Map Combiner This utility is designed to combine two normal maps into one and to fix bad normal vectors in auto generated normal maps. Windows only.
- Balancer Lite Windows + Mac. Features polygon reduction or mesh decimation for Wavefront (obj). Lite version is free for non-commercial purposes.
- Oolite is low-poly, so any user-friendly 3D editor will do, provided it supports DAT or OBJ.
Exported objects may need optimization.
- Blender Planet Textures
- Terragen Mac + Windows. Terrain generator with export option to obj. Free version for non-commerical use available.
- EarthSculptor Mac + Windows. Terrain generator with export option to obj. Free version for non-commerical use available.
- Corel Paintshop Pro
- GIMP Free, cross-platform powerful image-editor.
- OmniGraffle OSX, Trial version available.
- any other freeware software that supports layers
- Filter Tools
- OptiPNG Linux, Mac, Windows - Open-Source zlib/libpng License
- pngcrush Linux, Windows - OSI-Approved Open Source
Programmer's TextEditors or PlistEditors
- Crimson Editor
- SubEthaEdit (V2.2) (mac)
- SlickEdit (mac)
- plistEdit V1.2
- PListEditPro, OSX, highly recommended to switch between ascii and XML...
- Notepad++, for Windows. Excellent Notepad replacement, with multi-language support.
- Property List Editor, OSX, part of the developer package that is on the installation disc for the OS. (Not installed by default).
- (g)Vim, a powerful cross-plattform editor. A syntax highlighter for plist files is also available.
- Overview of editors for various operating systems
- Audacity Cross platform, under GNU General Public License (GPL).
- Python Cross platform language under Python Software Foundation License. For Oolites tools 2.6 (not 3.x!!) is required.
There are plenty other free editors and tools available, these are just a few.