Older OXPs (from Aegidian's day) were written entirely in Legacy Script. So if you look, for example, at the innards of Charlie's Benulobiweed oxp's from 2006-7 you will find that everything is written in the legacy scripts. When Aegidian started writing Oolite it was purely for the AppleMac, hence the ability to overwrite portions of the vanilla game code in OpenStep (the Windows and Linux ports were written later by David Taylor & Dylan Smith). XML was also included as a valid OXP language.
Nowadays Legacy scripting is still used in Property list or .plist files.
Legacy script thus comes in two versions: XML & OpenStep.
- See Methods for more technical information on legacy scripting
- Converters: Commander Jettison wrote 2 small programmes for translating the more opaque XML into OpenStep which you can find here (2011-17). The older version is on the first page, the newer on the third page of the thread.
- Commodities: The commodities coding in the older OXPs is particularly obscure. See Commodity Calculator for a helpful download for interpreting it.
Updating old OXPs
- See MasterClass: How to OXP (updating SoThisTC) (2021)
- See Oolite#A_little_History_.26_some_important_early_Versions for more detail on the History of the development of Oolite
- OXP howto plist
- Script.oos - already deprecated (2007 or so)?
- Scripts within shipdata
- Stacked AI
- Structured Legacy Scripts
- The bare minimum for a game-recognizable ship OXP using OpenStep (2016)
- Adding suns, moons & ships to system using legacy script (2007)