Extra fuel is must-have if you prefer fair play without frequent exploitation of the save/load game option. If you take the 5.6 LY hyperjump from Lave to Zaonce: in the regular run of things you have 1.4 LY fuel remaining when you get to Zaonce. But in the case of a misjump you are stranded in the midpoint between the systems and you now need 2.8 LY fuel to return to normal space. You have only 1.4 LY.
Well, we already have an expendable pylon-mounted 3 LY Fuel Tank (author Ramirez) and also some internal fuel tanks (Extra Fuel Tanks & Duplex Fuel Tank, author Smivs). Both approaches are used in real reality – expendable pylon-mounted fuel tanks and conformal fuel tanks. But I personally think that the price difference between the 3 LY expendable Fuel Tank for 75 ₢ and the 3 LY internal Reserve Fuel Tank for 50000 ₢ is somewhat exaggerated.
My solution: a 5 LY expendable Internal Fuel Tank for 100 ₢. It mounts in the cargo bay and requires 5 tons of free cargo space. It is a single-use primable piece of equipment.
I see the internal fuel tank as a balanced addition to the pylon-mounted fuel tanks. Sometimes one may prefer to sacrifice 5 tons of cargo space for extra security. In this case one can install an internal fuel tank and activate it immediately after entering dangerous system, still having one or two pylon mounted tanks just for emergencies.
Minimal Technology Level to install Internal Fuel Tank: TL8
- Press Shift-N repeatedly until you have selected the internal fuel tank.
- Then press N to activate it.
After activation, fuel will be transferred onto the main fuel tank (all extra fuel over the main fuel tank capacity will be lost) and the tank will disassemble, freeing the previously occupied space.
Author is Stranger - this OXP is part of the recommended equipment for his Strangers World. Very useful back-up for the long in-system distances (100,000km trips to outer planets etc), especially if you are running Hard Way where all movement eats fuel.
Other Fuel Tanks
- Fuel Tank: one-use only tank holding 3ly. Mounts in a Missiles Bay. 70 ₢. (Ramirez 2007)
- Extra Fuel Tanks: reusable tanks: (1ly) or (3ly). Cost: 10,000 / 50,000 ₢. Refillable at main orbital stations (extra cost). (Smivs 2018)
- Duplex Fuel Tank: reusable tank: (3ly). Cost: 62,000 ₢. Mounts in Cargo Bay (takes up 8t storage). Refillable by eg Sun skimming. (Timer 2013)