Page under Construction!
Limits of the game-code
The coding restricts Oolite to eight two-dimensional galaxies with 256 systems in each.
There are several ways in which you can get around this which include:
- See cim's Song of the Labyrinth for oxp's which create a new discovery game set in one of two new galaxies.
- See Galaxy Seeds for detail on how to change the galaxies yourself!
- See More/larger galaxies for tips on increasing the sizes of your galaxies as well as the number (2014)
Double star systems
While the game code does not allow for true binary systems, there are some "double star systems" (see links below):
- Galaxy 3: Quzaarar & Riusbequ
- Galaxy 4: Riusbequ & Quzaarar
- Galaxy 5: Tezabi & Divees
- Galaxy 5: Zaenza & Lazaso
- Galaxy 8: Esusale & Cecees
Effects of 7ly hyperdrive limit
The 7 lightyear jump limit limits which systems can be reached - for example, The Great Rift in Galaxy 7. There, some 30 systems are stranded in an "island" more than 7ly from the rest of the systems. But there are also effects on local geography too. As well as islands, peninsulae are created. The effects of this can clearly be seen if one tampers with this limit - see Redspear's Hyperdrives OXP.
In-game geographical differences
- Academies of Galaxy 1
- Academies of Galaxy 2
- Academies of Galaxy 3
- Academies of Galaxy 4
- Academies of Galaxy 5
- Academies of Galaxy 6
- Academies of Galaxy 7
- Academies of Galaxy 8
- Iron Stars cluster in Galaxy 1 (Economic) - the markets are very similar (more difficult to make a profit until you leave the region!)
- Pulsar Worlds (supposedly visual - one should be able to see the pulsar!)
- Devil's Triangle (political) - pirate infested - and the game code spills this out to the general locale in Oolite v.1.80 and later
- Darkside Moonshine Distillery creates an regional increase in price of the whisky as distance from the distilleries in the Tortuga expanse increases
- New Cargoes creates a market in over 100 specific versions of regular commodities - eg Vacuum Karate training videos (luxury) or Earthquake Predictors (computers). These are only produced by a handful of systems - and will only sell at full price to another handful... You need to know your geography for this one!
- Diplomancy can create no-go areas where one cannot buy visas for travel to systems (ie visiting the Communists in Sector1/Onlema & Sector1/Soorbi when they are at war with their neighbours). You can visit the systems, but not dock at the official system's stations!
- Smugglers creates difficulties in trade routes when commodities suddenly become illegal for a particular system!
- Weapon Laws creates difficulties in buying combat equipment - not only do you need the right TL, but you need the right political system too!
- In-game differences made by Fuel Station OXP: placing fuel stations in the more stable systems on SpaceWay L1 in galaxy 1
- The Eight
- Powers and Organisations has a listing of organisations specific to each galaxy.
- Galaxy Seeds
- Distance (Oolite)
- Cool OXPs for celestial objects (2021)
- Terraforming (2008)
- Double Star Systems (2010)