From Elite Wiki
When attacked by pirates, one way of escape is by dumping some of your cargo. They will often announce a "toll" of say 2 or 5 TC (cargo containers) which you must dump if you wish to flee unmolested.
- R selects cargo to be dumped
- d dumps one container for each press
- You need to do this fairly quickly, otherwise the pirates might get in range and start firing on you anyway.
- When you dump the cargo, make sure you dump it in a way that makes the pirates have to run to get it. Turn, and fly directly away from them, then pull up and dump. That should send the cargo on a direct line away from the pirates, meaning they will spend a bit of time chasing down the cargo and giving you more of a chance to escape. Then change course (to make it more difficult for them to follow you) - and run!.
- Keep some "pirate kibble" in your cargo hold if this is a tactic you follow - some cheap containers of food or other such to be dumped.
- Dealing with piracy (Oolite)
- See also the OoliteRS (Reference Sheets) and AdviceforNewCommanders which came as .pdfs in your original game download. Probably worth printing out!