Beacons exist in two varieties: those which merely transmit a signal in space, and those which also act as a visible beacon.
- The Station Buoy is a vital introduction since the Elite era, much reducing accidents during docking with the station.
- The Witchpoint beacon has revolutionised interstellar travel since the Elite era, but now gives the ever-increasing plague of pirates somewhere to find their prey in more anarchic systems.
Whilst the two beacons above can be located throughout the system (if you have an Advanced Space Compass), other beacons may have more limited ranges.
- The Compass in the Vanilla game detects the first only.
- The other beacons are detectable by the ASC or Advanced Space Compass (depending on range).
- Telescope is an OXP which enables detection of beacons from a distance on one's viewscreens (F1-F4 in flight) - rather than just the compass.
The other beacons can be found in the OXPs.
- Your Ad Here! transmogrifies the beacons into massive advertisement hoardings.
- Docking stations have their own beacons: Click here and mouse down to the Dockables section.
- Rock Hermits have their own set of OXPs which attach beacons with variable detection distances .
- To place your own beacons to help locate things see Tracker OXP and Waypoint Here.
- Buoy Repair introduces some impressive looking buoy repair facilities to your Ooniverse.
- GalCop Missions includes some minor missions involving beacons.
|In between them all, the witchspace marker drifted, deactivated. Lave was indeed closed for business. Galcop had switched it off once threats had been received that any ship entering Lave via witchspace would be destroyed.
No ships could witch in from Diso, Leesti, Zaonce, Orerve or Reorte without the broadcast co-ordinates from the marker. Huge queues were building in those systems as traders, wishing to jump to the Lave system found they couldn’t get clearance to travel. Due to Lave’s location and importance as a major centre of commerce on many trade routes, the result was complete pandemonium.
|(Status Quo §9)|
Note that this conflicts with the Vanilla game code - see Witchpoint beacons are in the core game, so they're a thing below.
- Witchpoint beacons are in the core game, so they're a thing. What exactly is their purpose? Are they simply markers, or are they perhaps needed for incoming ships to lock onto - no witchpoint beacon, no inbound traffic?. BB Thread (2020).
- Why do traders/convoys make their way out through pirate-infested space-lanes to the Witchpoint beacon and then jump from there? Why not do so from the much safer aegis of the orbital station? Three attempts to answer:
- (Newbie) Moving to a new system. BB Thread (2021)
- Ideally Imperfect OOniverse: Calibrated Hyperspace jumps. BB Thread (2017-8)
- Long gone Commander checking in,.... BB Thread (2008)