|Size (metres, W×H×L)||variable|
|Cargo capacity||0 TC|
|Cargo bay extension||N/A|
|Maximum speed||0 LM|
|Energy recharge rate||Non-existant (0)|
|Shield boosters available||No|
|Military shields available||No|
|OXP or standard||Standard|
|Available to player||No|
Asteroids, sometimes called minor planets or planetoids, are small Solar System bodies in orbit around the Sun, especially in the inner Solar System; they are smaller than planets but larger than meteoroids. The term "asteroid" has historically been applied primarily to minor planets of the inner Solar System, as the outer Solar System was poorly known when it came into common usage. The distinction between asteroids and comets is made on visual appearance: Comets show a perceptible coma while asteroids do not.
Very rocky. Commonly mined by miners looking for valuable ores, minerals and gemstones.
When destroyed, they break into smaller pieces, as Boulders and then as smaller Splinters.
There are several oxps which affect the distribution of asteroids:
- Asteroid Randomizer (random asteroid placing)
- Asteroid Storm (new asteroid clusters)
- Asteroid Remover (stops respawning destroyed asteroids)
- Asteroid Tweaks (tweaks number of asteroids)
- Also Deep Space Pirates (adds asteroids outside the space lanes) & Stashes (ditto). These OXP's are really doing other things to your game!
Note that Oolite's asteroids currently appear in clumps/fields rather than in rings around planets or belts around suns.
These are all populated & dockable-with modified asteroids
To embark on a career as an asteroid miner one needs at the minimum a mining laser and fuel scoops (which can be used to scoop up the splinters and other usable fragments from the mined asteroids - boulders are too big!). STE (Scanner Target Enhancer) helps highlight for example one splinter in your viewscreen for scooping, and Target System Memory Expansion allows you to multiply the number of targeted entities.
There are a number of .oxps which can also help with this:
- The Mining IFF Scanner Upgrade allows your scanner to distinguish between asteroids, boulders and splinters.
- There are a number of oxps which help automatically target all asteroids/boulders/splinters in range (and other items too!): Target System Plugins, Target System Upgrade, Telescope, STE (included in the Vimana HUD oxp) etc.
- GalCop Missions provides a Cargo-stopper which also seems to work on asteroid splinters, where a tractor beam helps net them for your scoop!
- Ore Processor allows you to refine the mined ores yourself to extract the higher value metals and gems.
- Market Inquirer will allow you to select the best market for your mined asteroids in the solar system (you will need to also have oxps fleshing out the solar systems with more orbital stations and will need to have an Advanced Space Compass).
- Mineral Store Reset prevents the markets becoming saturated with mining products so that you can always sell your mined goods.
- To return to an asteroid field in the wilds of space, ETT Homing Beacon or Waypoint Here will identify a point in Deep Space so that you can find it again, whilst Tracker OXP will tag an asteroid so that you can find that - even if it has moved (but not if someone else mined it first!).
See Career Options (Miner) for more information & links.
- Lore: where do all the asteroids come from? (2021)
- Stranger's Essay - see the concluding section on "Small bodies" in the fifth post.
- Placement of Asteroid Fields/Belts (2006 - date)
Variations on the Asteroid theme: - all on the in-game Expansions Manager
- Icesteroids - yield alloys on mining
- Griff's Icesteroids - yield alloys on mining
- Griff's Glowroids - fungoid growths
- Graffiti Asteroids - for vandals!
Retextures - all on the in-game Expansions Manager
- Griff Asteroids
- Noshader chunky exploding asteroids
- Normal and Specular+Gloss Maps for Oolite v1.88+ includes Asteroids
Rock Hermits (populated asteroids)
Other gubbins involving asteroids