Shipbuilder is a relative newcomer to Oolite who joined the forum in May 2012. Having played the original Elite on a BBC model B during the 1980s he believes that Oolite has recreated and improved on the original. The concept of an open ended 'do whatever you want' style of game where the player is but a very small part rather than the central point of what is going on around them is key to the addictive nature of the game. It is however the intentional expandability of Oolite where anyone with a little time and effort can contribute to producing expansion packs, (OXPs), of a multitude of natures that really interests him.
With this in mind and his longstanding interest in spacecraft Shipbuilder has tasked himself with developing and releasing a series of ships both from TV and of original design.
The long term objectives are twofold. Firstly to release craft of varying styles, sizes and types to suit all interests and secondly to ensure that any ships issued are to be produced to the best of his current abilities. The focus will therefore be on quality of ships rather than quantity.
The GalTech Industries Corporation
In an attempt to gain a foothold in the shipbuilding industry a small but high tech shipyard was constructed in the rich industrial system of Ceesxe located centrally in Galaxy 1. Following the successful, and some say suspicious, negotiation of a number of military contracts and the acquisition of competing shipyards in the nearby systems of Gerete and Edle both the size and capability of the company greatly increased to what is now known as The GalTech Industries Corporation.
Ships from TV
My OXPs currently under development
1) Lightning Mark 1 - Fast interceptor with good manoeuvrability and speed but no cargo capacity.
2) Siren Mark 1 - Multi use trading vessel with a 60T cargo capacity and reasonable manoeuvrability and speed.
3) Gorgon Class Freighter - A 160T cargo freighter with limited speed and manoeuvrability.
4) Chimera Gunship - A vessel specifically developed to carry a large number of pylon mounted weapons. It also has a limited cargo capacity of 5T.
5) Mantis Scout Ship - Mixed use vessel but limited cargo capacity.
6) Apache Class Heavy Freighter - a 200T freighter with limited manoeuvrability and speed but armed with 2 plasma turrets in addition to the usual 4 gun mounts.
7) A Range of Turrets for use on various sized ships and stations.
--Shipbuilder 21:17, 10 July 2012 (BST)