The Cobra comes with twin Zieman deflector shields. These shields absorb energy by reflecting it with an equivalent charge of inverse energy. There are two generators for these shields, one forward and one aft. The indicators showing the strength of the shields are labelled "1" on the HUD on the right. The four energy banks which power the generators are labelled "12".
Two standard upgrades can be purchased for your Shields:
- NavalGrid OXP provides two upgrades (civilian & naval) to the energy bus linking the energy units to the Shields.
- ShieldCycler transfers energy between your forward and aft shields (3 versions with 3 addons).
- Shield Equalizer And Capacitors OXP Equalizer recharges the shield under attack, Capacitors provides a battery for the shields.
The following OXPs all make the game harder (and more realistic).
- Breakable Shield Generators OXP allows your Shield Generators to be disabled by a direct hit in combat
- Energy Rebalance rebalances energy between shields and energy banks.
- Hard Way hammers your shields down to 25% when you are using your Torus Drive
- Ship Configuration OXP adds another 4 strengths of shield to choose from. A very complex .oxp.