|Broken download link||0|
Most of the discussions around the EliteWiki happen on the Oolite Bulletin Board these days.
New topics should be placed on top.
If you drop in the discussions here, please sign your message (like this: ~~~~).
I noticed that capital letters are used on Elite Wiki in article titles and headers indiscriminately, like the Americans do, not just for proper nouns. I even made a note about this in the MoS. By the way, in the most contradictory way, on Wikipedia this is not allowed and proper capitalsation rules must be followed in all titles and headers. Do we want to keep things as they are, or do we want to implement the rules from Wikipedia here as well and try to change to correct usage of capital letters? Debresser 14:43, 14 February 2016 (UTC)
As far as I am concerned, no need to change Maik 15:57, 15 May 2016 (BST)
The navigation pane on the left has a link to EliteWiki:Community portal, which was an empty page till I recently directed it here, to the Village pump. We also have a page EliteWiki:Community Portal (note the capitalisation), which actually looks more like a portal. So perhaps it would be a good idea to have the link in the navigation pane redirect there. On the other side, the Village pump is a very important page, IMHO, where all kinds of proposals can be discussed, and it is a good idea to have it in the navigation pane.
I think we can resolve this by moving "EliteWiki:Community Portal" to "EliteWiki:Community portal" (which only an admin can do), and have it link "Community portal" in the navigation pane point there, and then add a link to the Village pump to the navigation pane. We could also replace the link to "Current events", which IMHO is not needed, by a link to the "Village pump". We could also keep things as is, i.e. have the link to "Community portal" point to the Village pump, and no link to the EliteWiki:Community portal in the navigation pane. Your opinions please. Debresser 00:11, 11 February 2016 (UTC)
See Proposed change to the main page, which I warmly recommend to implement. Note, btw, that not I created that article, and as a matter of fact, I think it should be deleted, since proposals like this should be made on the talkpage or on a userpage, and not in main article namespace. Debresser 00:03, 11 February 2016 (UTC)
I like it Maik 15:59, 15 May 2016 (BST)
- Then perhaps you can implement it. The Mian Page is about the only protected page on the EliteWiki, and I can't make the change. Debresser 20:21, 15 May 2016 (BST)
Please help merge article
Please help merge Elite 4 known facts into Elite: Dangerous now that the latter is known to be the official name of the new game. Preferably somebody who knows the game and knows what is fact and isn't. Debresser 06:28, 31 January 2016 (UTC)
There are no dropdown suggestions for searches. See Manual:Enabling autocomplete in search box on how to enable this.
There are no references on Wikipedia. I mean, the
<ref> tags don't work. Apparently the Cite Extension has not been installed. I am not sure we need/want to use real references, and that is a question in its own right.
I tried sorting articles in categories per subpage, see Template:Quote The Traders Almanach, however, it doesn't work on EliteWiki, even though on Wikipedia it works. Do we have subpages enabled on all namespaces? Debresser 00:50, 7 February 2016 (UTC)
I think the following pages should be userfied, i.e. moved to user subpages. I have posted on their discussion pages, but I wanted to centralise discussion.
Debresser 20:07, 23 January 2016 (UTC)
What about articles like Break, which was in Category:Real People; User:RyanHoots/Commander Ryan Hoots, User:Tricky/Commander Tricky, which are in Category:User; and all the articles in Category:Profile. Are these all user profiles? If so, let's put them all in Category:Profiles. Debresser 07:38, 18 January 2016 (UTC)
- Update: it seems only one of the articles in Category:Profile was a user profile, the other 8 were fictional characters. Debresser 07:53, 18 January 2016 (UTC)
Can some admin please delete all the pages that need to be deleted? See the template above. Debresser 05:42, 17 January 2016 (UTC)
- Update: I had a look at who are admins, and I noticed that none of the 5 admins has edited EliteWiki for the last year, and one of them made a total of 11 edits over 5 years ago. I see I'm going to have to be patient. :) Debresser 12:22, 21 January 2016 (UTC)
- By the way, I think it would be a good idea to de-sysop at least that one editor who never really edited. Probably was a mistake he was made admin. Debresser 09:24, 27 January 2016 (UTC)
- I contacted Maik. He said he'll look at all of my proposals as soon as he has the opportunity. Debresser 14:50, 14 February 2016 (UTC)
I propose to move all the articles in the Wikipedia namespace to EliteWiki namespace and to delete the Wikipedia namespace. This is not Wikipedia, after all, but the EliteWiki, and that is why our default namespace should be EliteWiki. Debresser 05:41, 17 January 2016 (UTC)
- Sounds good. Svengali 16:37, 22 January 2016 (UTC)
- Done. Debresser 17:30, 23 January 2016 (UTC)
We have two parallel categories: Category:Rough Guide on the Ooniverse (using "on") and Category:Rough Guide to the Ooniverse (using "to"). The main article is at Rough Guide to the Ooniverse, which is the actual title with "to". Can we merge the "on" category into the "to" category? Debresser 23:18, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
- By the way, this was also the intention of the first poster on Category talk:Rough Guide on the Ooniverse, which was not understood by the second editor there. Debresser 06:04, 17 January 2016 (UTC)
- Done. Debresser 14:51, 14 February 2016 (UTC)
The main page says: Important note - Due to the increasing number of spam accounts, new account creation has been disabled. If you want an account, please send a PM via the Oolite Bulletin Board to 'maik'.
I would replace that by: Important note - Due to the increasing number of spam accounts, new account creation has been disabled. If you want an account, please follow the instructions at Wikipedia:How to created an account. Or: ...please follow the instructions here.
At that page I would add a bit about that they'll have to create and account at the Oolite Bulletin Board, if they don't have one. About how to find maik. That they'll have to post something somewhere before they'll be able to write maik a private message. Things like that, which I found a bit confusing when I went through the steps. Debresser 21:54, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
I think that Wikipedia:Go button is a bit redundant. For beginners it is too detailed and complicated, and more experienced users will not need it. I recommend to delete it.
Regarding the search function. I noticed that the "search" field does not show any suggestions. Can functionality like that be added? That would also make instructions regarding capitalization superfluous. Debresser 21:47, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
The Fiction category lacks a definition, and seems to include both works of fiction, authors, fictional characters and entities, and until recently terms. I think this category should be diffused into the appropriate story categories (like Elite stories, Frontier stories and Oolite stories), and the to be created Category:Authors, Category:Fictional people and Category:Fictional organisations (or simply Category:People and Category:Organisations) categories. Would that make sense? Debresser 21:40, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
- I started implementing this. By the way, Category:Factual is even more vague in definition and scope. I think we should strive to move all articles in it to other, more appropriate categories (partly to be created still). Debresser 18:48, 19 January 2016 (UTC)
- I finished cleaning out the Fiction category. One of the things I did was create Category:The Traders Almanach. There are literally hundreds of articles that have a section about The Traders Almanach, and need this category added. See this edit for an example how to do best this. Please help. Debresser 22:41, 6 February 2016 (UTC)
On Wikipedia it is customary to add new discussions to the bottom. Here I saw the opposite: the newer discussions are above the older ones. There is even a specific instruction to that extent, see above. Is that the way we want to keep it, or do we want to conform with the Wikipedia custom in this regards? Debresser 19:38, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
- I think scrolling through >2 years old topics is not really helpful and I would stick with 'new on top'. Svengali 18:48, 19 January 2016 (UTC)
- I get your point. At the same time, all of Wikipedia does it, and on pages that are significantly longer than here. Please also check your talkpage, where I crated a section by pressing the "+" button, and you'll see that the WikiMedia default is to create new section at the bottom of a page. Debresser 17:35, 23 January 2016 (UTC)
- °grins° Sure, it's not the default and it was just my personal setting when I created this page (and I was the only user for more than a year). Feel free to remove the instruction. But either way - it won't give pleasing results. Svengali 17:35, 2 March 2016 (UTC)
I thought it might be prudent to create a category for the Ooniverse-related stuff, and make Fiction a subcategory of this. For example, I have this idea of moving the Rough Guide to the Ooniverse stuff and even creating some more Oocanon for us. Thoughts? Zireael 13:40, 27 December 2013 (UTC)
- Actually, I see that the Guide is listed under Fiction, so maybe I'll start moving the Oocanon stuff there... Zireael 16:47, 29 December 2013 (UTC)
Dynamic Ship List
Some pages are inserting multiple entries in Dynamic_Ship_List_(Oolite) which renders its sorting functionality useless. Either remove the SMW template from these pages or split in single pages which can be transcluded? Svengali 09:56, 15 January 2013 (UTC)
- The same applies for the other WIKI related namespaces (e.g. Wikipedia), etc. I also think that the redirects for Oolite, FFE, etc. related pages in that namespace should be removed. Opinions? Svengali 18:00, 3 February 2013 (UTC)
OXPs in Oolite category
- The same applies for Fiction. Fiction has a own main category and a subcategory in Oolite, so removing the category Oolite from these pages is probably the way here. Mixing different approaches for navigation trees is not really that helpful. Svengali 20:18, 5 May 2013 (BST)
We currently have quite a few different templates to place pages in categories. Some are using the the OXP-in-category template, others are simply using the passed parameter. Time to stick with one approach, I'd think. Svengali 21:19, 13 January 2013 (UTC)
- I've also seen that some templates (e.g. HUD-OXP) have been cleared. What should this be? Svengali 14:16, 16 January 2013 (UTC)
Special:WantedPages contains a lot of requested articles. Some are lurking there for several years. Specially Classic, FFE and FE2 stuff hasn't been touched for ages. Should we go and simply turn the links in plain text? Svengali 21:19, 13 January 2013 (UTC)
- I've filled out some wanted articles recently but I don't know enough about Classic/FE2/FFE to do anything. I guess we need to find someone who knows his Elite history? Zireael 13:40, 27 December 2013 (UTC)