Eagle Long Range Fighter Mk 3
|Eagle Mk III|
|Maximum gross mass||8t|
|Main thruster accel||28.2g|
|Retro thruster accel||15.1g|
|Hyperdrive ranges|| Class 1:10.00|
|Standard drive||Class 1|
A small ship, with just enough space to cram in the most necessary equipment to make it a Long Range Fighter, but with the need for compromise. The 22t of internal space can be distributed for instance as follows:
- 5t - 1MW Beam Laser - a must-have for anyone ever expecting to get into a fight
- 6t - Military Drive 1 - gives you 4 tons you can use for other equipment
- 1t - Scanner - goes without saying
- 1t - Autopilot - never leave home without it
- 4t - Fuel - for a theoretical range of 40LY (4 jumps)
- 5t - at Commander's disposal (e.g. Radar Mapper, Atmospheric Shield...)
Or, to make it a true long range fighter, for those really urgent parcel deliveries:
- 5t - 1MW Beam Laser
- 12t - Military Drive 2
- 1t - Autopilot
- which puts you in a dilemma: 4 tons of fuel for maximum range, or sacrifice 1t to fit in the scanner. If you're a really good shot, you could also build in a 5MW Pulse laser, that frees up 1t. Note that you can't land on planets with atmospheres with this ship.
Imperial retrofit, with improved retro-rockets.
- It is just too small to do any serious trading or ferry passengers.
- You either struggle with very limited range (10LY) which can make navigating a pain, or you build in the Mil Drive 2 and miss out some other vital piece of equipment.
The absolutely most powerful combination of main and retro thrusters ever build. Only the Falcon or Osprey X has marginally better mains, but decidedly worse retros. And, for the Eagle, the (theoretical) ability to cover 40LY in one week! This ship is fun -- but as with most fun things, you'll find it's not worthwhile in the long run.