Is it possible to cheat at Oolite? Does the term actually mean anything?
Cheat: definition (from www.thefreedictionary.com)
verb - transitive: ie it is done to somebody else: I cheated you
- 1. To deceive by trickery; swindle: cheated customers by overcharging them for purchases.
- 2. To deprive by trickery; defraud: cheated them of their land.
- 3. To mislead; fool: illusions that cheat the eye.
- 4. To elude; escape: cheat death.
verb - intransitive: ie it is not done to somebody else: I cheated. I can add you, but I don't need to!
- 1. To act dishonestly; practice fraud.
- 2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.
- 3. Informal To be sexually unfaithful: cheat on a spouse.
- 4. Sports To position oneself closer to a certain area than is normal or expected: The shortstop cheated toward second base.
- 1. An act of cheating; a fraud or swindle.
- 2. One who cheats; a swindler.
- 3. A technique that exploits a flaw or hidden feature in a video game or computer program.
- 4. Law Fraudulent acquisition of another's property.
- 5. Botany Any of several species of brome, especially Bromus secalinus, an annual European grass widespread as a weed.
Etymology: Middle English cheten, to confiscate, short for acheten, variant of escheten, from eschete, escheat; see escheat.
1) So. I'm not playing Oolite with anybody else, so I can't cheat them!
2) Can I cheat "Oolite" itself? Oolite is not "fixed", like the rules of Chess or Cricket (although they are changed every once in a while). And, I can rewrite Oolite (if I have the skills) to do what I like, with the rules that I like - it is "Open Code". Or, I can use OoCheat OXP to give myself oodles of dosh, or even just write the extra dosh into my Oolite save file. But is any of this cheating?
3) Can I cheat the NPC's?
There has been much discussion on this subject, needless to say!
The one area regarded by many as cheating is to have some advantage which the NPCs cannot get - category (3) above: that the playing field is unfairly tipped towards the player. This is tied in with the doctrine of player-centrism which it is felt that Oolite eschews (see Diziet Sma more recently - and Winston back at the start). Compared to Classic Elite, Oolite is indeed far less player-centric: it's not just that your ship moves inside the Ooniverse (rather than the universe moving around your ship - as in the game coding in Elite). The debates about the Energy Bomb (see there) show the importance of this - and how many people felt it was a cheat (the people who wanted to keep it, wanted to keep faith with Classic Elite where it was one of the five weapons in the original game). Oolite being Oolite, it was eventually removed but preserved as an OXP option. Also see the debates over Norby's Telescope OXP in the 2013 thread below, and the discussion half way through the 2012 thread.
But there are still at least three areas where Oolite retains some of Elite's player centrism: the Torus Drive (NPCs don't have it), the existence of Shields (NPCs just have Energy banks), and a 14% speed bonus for the player's Cobra vs NPC Cobra Mk IIIs. And again, Oolite being Oolite, people such as Cim, Ngalo ("equal rights for NPC's"), Rustem & Dybal started writing OXPs to try and even the playing field, fighting against cheating in category (3) above.
- Svengali was very much against 'cheating' (whatever he meant by it), and tried to create a set of icons in the 2013 thread to let people know what the effects of an OXP would be on game balance. He had already in 2010 developed the OXP Levelindicators to indicate what sort of Elite Rating one would need to tackle the OXP (if a ship or a mission for example).
- Smivs seemed to feel that cheating was adding an OXP which made the modified Oolite easier than the Vanilla game - category (2) above. He devised the Gameplay and Balance Indicator to show this (in July 2014). Switech seems to have had a similar perspective but focused on upsetting the game balance rather than deviations from the vanilla game. Commander McLane (2012) felt that even tampering with the 7ly jump limit breaks the game.
It is probably worth while taking a close look at Okti's collection in the Guide to Unlisted OXPs and their reception by the community on the BB. Some of the relevant threads seem to have been deleted, but he seems to have responded to the criticisms, taking them on board - see his description of SunSkimmerPod.oxp. It may be possible that the friendly nature of the Oolite community has exerted a social constraint on "cheating" activities - at least where it comes to public activities such as publishing .oxp's.
- OoCheat OXP by Thargoid (2010) - menu
- Killit OXP - uberweapons (missiles & mines)
- OMGLaser - uberweapon (laser)
- Energy Bomb see debate above
- Pirate E Bomb: see Okti's collection in Guide to Unlisted OXPs - blows up every pirate in the system and calls you a cheat!
- Vimana Ship Overrides gives extra cargo capacity, flight speed, number of missile pylons & energy banks.
- Target Tracker - super-Target Lock which obviates the need for any combat skill
- Telescope Extender & Gravity Scanner - Telescope was split after much debate into non-cheating & cheating portions!
- Long Range Scanner - see everything in the entire system
- Illicit Unlock OXP - still seen as a cheat? (see below)
- Ubership - for a collection of these
- How to tweak OXZ's - tweak stuff to make it uber
- Fair Cobra III by Cim (2012) upgrades the speed, energy and energy recharge rate of NPC Cobra IIIs to match the player's.
- N-Shields by Ngalo (2016) - see Ngalo for some more
- Military Shields Ships OXP by Rustem (2018)
- NPC Energy Units OXP by Dybal (2020)
- Penalize Death.oxp Making death hurt (2012). By Spara.
- Q-bomb AI modification by Rustem (2017) allows NPCs to use their Q-bombs too
- Skilled NPCs OXP by Cim (2013) allows NPCs to be much more skilled than in the Vanilla game
- BB thread Winston on player-centrism (2005)
- BB thread 2005/6 when flying an NPC ship was felt to be a cheat (even though Illicit Unlock OXP came out in 2005). This taboo did not last. See here (2011 - the feeling was already a minority feeling). And notice the Category at the bottom of this page which excludes Illicit Unlock (created by Jaz in 2013).
- BB thread 2010 altering your save file (see 2021 comments by Tsoj & Stranger).
- BB thread 2012 discussion in middle is based on player-centrist assumptions
- BB thread 2013 more focused on cheating OXPs (and with links to other relevant threads)
- BB thread 2015 Diziet Sma on using Cheat OXP
- BB thread 2015 Smivs on why Laser Coolers would constitute a "cheat"
- BB thread 2015 Tweaking your ship to make it Über
- BB thread 2015 COMPETITION: unbalanced oxp-uber-mega-weapons!
- BB thread 2017 rather short - but recent
- The subtle art of cheating - soliloquy on altering an .oxp (2011)